Another Grounding Question

Sobot

Another thread...

Alright, due to the fact that my bridge will be a hard tail bridge, and I have no pickguard, I believe that it would be hard to get a ground to go to the bridge. Now I drew a picture on the computer, it's not very complex, but it works. The picture is the "bottom" of a guitar (you can see because I put a the strap button in) and it kinda shows the inside where it'll be hollowed out for controls

Picture: http://photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sobot/?...rent=ground.jpg

now the question is, can I put a ground wire to one of the bridge screws instead of the actual bridge... like drill a hole to the hole I drilled for the screw and put a wire through and then put the screw in so the bare part of the wire is stuck to the screw.... hard to explain, look at the picture.

Thank you for answering my questions.... :D

just drill an angled hole from the middle of the bridge to your control cavity then leave a half inch or so bare wire showing and mount your bridge right over it. sand the bottom of the bridge lightly where it will touch the wire to assure a good contact. if you try to drill the hole from your screw hole chances are that the screw won't hold good.

Uncle got it right. It is gonna be easier to hit a new angled hole that isn't a bridge screw hole, in the first place. The other issue is you have no control over how the wire is gonna be treated as the screw is tightened. It could just call it quits and break. I usually put a small piece of copper shielding tape over the wire where I hope the bridge is gonna get it's ground. Make sure it is the conductive-adhesive type, however. If nothing else, at least tin the wire with some solder to make it compressively stronger.

ok, my head might not not be completely screwed on tonight, but... why do you need to ground the bridge?  :D

hmm... how would one make sure that the ground wire ALWAYS touches the bridge?

Also, how different would that be for a tom?

thanks

With a TOM, you can drill to the stud hole and pull a wire up through the hole then push the stud in, crushing the wires between the stud and the wood and ensuring good contact.