Shop-made Overarm Pin Router

toddler68

I posted that link a while back and most people who replied seemed to thing it would be a little too flimsy with all the wood components. It might work with a small HP router to do little parts, but I wouldnt think it would work for general luthier related routing.

I know this design. It appeared in the fifties for school boys to build. I'm not being funny it's true, it's an old tried and true design. If one uses baltic birch plywood for all the parts and some tubular support where the bolts go through it becomes a very servicable unit. Just don't over stress it and you're in. :D

I will love to use a pin router, but I will never make that one with wood pieces holding the router, there are so many bracing equipment available that can be adapted to be used in this application, that I will never risk my safety with any material weaker than the tool itself...

It's like that post a while ago about raising the bandsaw height cutting capacity by using wood pieces.

It's like that post a while ago about raising the bandsaw height cutting capacity by using wood pieces.

i think i'll go for it and build that pin router, but i'll make some changes to it, like maiden 69 said there is alot of bracing equipment that could be used, even just parts from home hardware that you can modify, i'm sure you could definitly get away with having some of the parts made of wood, just reinforce them with metal

I posted that link a while back...

Damn! I knew I should have done a search before I posted :D

It might work with a small HP router to do little parts, but I wouldnt think it would work for general luthier related routing.

Yeah, I'd probably mainly use it for doing my rebates for carved tops... or flattening the surfaces before I glue tops on.

I built one from those plans. And eveyone is correct, it is too flimsy. If you have metal working skills and can create it that way, do it! The pin router I have now is virtually the same, only metal, heavy, and stable! Plus to find all the little parts other than wood took me a good hour in Lowe's, just looking through everything! And the worst part, the pipe that screws into the base, doesn't always end up at 90 degrees. So it takes a lot of adjusting to get EVERYTHING perfect, and then as soon as you turn the router on, and start pushing wood through, things shift. It was fun to build, but I was too afraid something would happen and my hand would end up in it!

Don't bother building this to try and make guitars.

It works fine. :D