Fretted 4 String Jazz

Quilt maple top, walnut chambered body, 5 piece birdseye maple/bubinga neck, bookmatched goncala alves fretboard, spalted maple cavity cover, 26 frets, ebony knobs and birdseye/bubinga/walnut pickup covers. Homemade jazz pups-9.0k,9.4k, volume,volume,tone.

quiltmapletop4fretted004.jpg

quiltmapletop4fretted007.jpg

Thanks guys, I am pretty excited about this one... of course, I was already dreaming about how much better the next one will be right after I started this one. I literally daydream (in addition to dreaming about basses at night) constantly about what to do differently on the "next" one. I believe the next will be a neck thru (hidden from above) or set neck or perhaps even a bolt-thru, lacewood body with a burled/quilted/spalted maple top, bubinga neck and birdseye FB. Oh wait, I just changed my mind..........

VanKirk,

Don't dis my "freely" acquired lutherie sneakers- but I probably shouldn't be showing them off in my pics or someone might track me own and steal them. I am still loving the look and feel of a poly/oil blend. Of course it doesn't protect as well as nitro, but it does not chip or show every little fingerprint. I take very good care of my basses anyhow- and I would expect everyone else who may one day own a Rice Bass to do the same.

Edited by bassman

The new build is intonatable with the ABM bridge. The old build was fretless, so an acoustic bridge is fine. :D You intonate each note individually on a fretless by touch and ear anyhow... the bridge is only relevant insofar as it should be in the right spot according to scale length and have a teeny bit of 'compensation' so that your imaginary fret lines more or less line up... but even then, you're playing by ear and feel.

Looks awesome. I love the Pickup covers. How do they sound?

Greg

The new build is intonatable with the ABM bridge.  The old build was fretless, so an acoustic bridge is fine.  :D  You intonate each note individually on a fretless by touch and ear anyhow... the bridge is only relevant insofar as it should be in the right spot according to scale length and have a teeny bit of 'compensation' so that your imaginary fret lines more or less line up... but even then, you're playing by ear and feel.

Looks awesome.  I love the Pickup covers.  How do they sound?

Greg

GregP,

Thanks for clearing that up. The pups sound very sweet to my picky tastes. They got the vintage vibe I was shooting for.

Cerb,

The intonation on that fretless is good, cross string consistantcy was achieved with the compensated angle of the saddle. It is not perfect but more than good enough for fretless.

Oh man B) have You got any sound samples? PLEASE SAY YES :D

That Is Some Tastey Tastey Treats!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Uhmmm, GregP, who said you don't set intonation on a fretless? I would disagree but I don't like to start fights I can't finish.

Well, there's really no point in getting intonation perfect on a fretless since you DO have to adjust depending on your personal technique and even down to the size of your fingers. And even if you do get the intonation perfect, then you would be forced to fret exactly at the right place, which would be difficult to do without adjusting by feel and by ear, in which case we are back to the original arguement.

:D