Bass Beginnings

[well guys this is my first post on here im currently working on my custom 4-string bass im making it a semi neck through designmodeled after a ibenez body with a rare piece of persimon as the top laminate, hard rock maple for the core and straight grain mahogany for the back of the body the fret board is of the same persimon with a five piece laminate neck consiting of three pieces of hard rock maple and 2 pieces of mahogany i know theres been alot of people talking about if a a guitar can be made out of persimon well im doin it right now

the piece came from a 6' x 12" dia log of persimon found by my uncle in a local forest its completly unique tell me what you think so far oh you can also visit my fathers website at www.riffwork.com to see some of his recent creations everything on these guitars is hand made except hardware and electronics everything from the body designs to the fretboard is hand made why buy whens its more enjoyable to make

oh just to answer a question no this wood is not altered other then book matched the color is all natural

(i'm not sure how to insert a pic so just copy this link into your browser)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stachickenlo...a17.jpg&.src=ph

Edited by RiffWork2

guys id like to ad am image to my post but i don't know how could someone help me out here do i have to have a website or what i have the image on my desktop how do i get it to the post thanks again

i think if i can get it to work you will all be as impressed with the persimon as i first was its truly unique

You need A hosting web site that You can upload You pic's onto and Than you link the Pic's in to your Post from the hostsite!

Hear try Photobucket! It's free

http://photobucket.com/

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Don't get offended, man. It's just that you will be taken more seriously if you don't use run on sentences and such.

BTW, that wood looks pretty bitchin'! Whats it look like with a finish on it? Do you plan on putting a cap on the headstock using the same wood? That would look awesome having the entire front of the guitar the same wood.

Wow that wood is impressive, it really does have a great color/figure, reminds me of a melting oreo. How long did you dry it for, or is it kiln dried? Does the color seem to change with time at all? How is weight and density compared with hard maple with that piece? Great stuff and I can't wait to see it as you go and when it's done. Truly a unique piece! Also have you put any thought into how you will finish it? Something clear I would hope! Good Luck with your project! Jason

i wasnt offended i just usually get ahead of myself

Well i plan on painting it black, ha joke. Ok i got alot of questions here let me see if i can answer them all. The wood has been sitting up for about 1 year, i havent dried it at all, my father said it was naturally pretty dry when they cut it. As to the density the 6 ft log weighs about 300 pounds i had to drag it out with an atv, we are pretty sure that the log got its color from the minerals in the nearby creek because its always rising and falling. i do plan on laminating my headstock with the same persimon for exactly the reason you said i want the entire front to be one kind of wood. I took some pictures of it wetted down i will probably use a nice oil finish maybe something with a little more shine to it, there is also some more pics of the mahogany back and the laminate neck as well as the recent creation of my dads we call it diablo its a laminate guitar made with bloodbood the color is natural on it as well

Has it been trying for a year after it was milled? You are supposed to dry it (I *think* 1 year for every 1 inch thickness). You could probably take one of the pieces of a lumber yard and see if they can measure the moisture content. I believe 6-7% is considered stable for guitar building.

yes im leaving the knots in the wood and where there are voids in the wood i'm going to fill them with some sort of inlay like epoxy, im not sure exactly yet

i trust my dads judgement on the dryness of the wood as i have no idea on that kind of stuff. He knows his woods and trust me as rare as this piece is he wouldnt let me ruin it if it wasnt ready. We were talkin about it tonight and i think hes going to make a series of guitars out of this persimon, Have a set containing a electric guitar, bass , and acustic guitar

primal i talked to my father about the driness of the persimmon and was told it was airdried for a good while then stuck up in the rafters in the garage hahahah

anyway its got about 5-7% moisture content and was assurred that it would not cause any cracking

im going to be forming the neck and headstock today get the truss rod channel in and possibly rough cut out the body ill have new pictures