The Allmighty Wah!

kh15

what the best, most clasic sounding of the dunlop wah-wah pedal series? thiers so many i have no clue

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah Pedal

dunlop origianal cry baby

Dunlop Crybaby Classic Fasel Inductor Wah Pedal

dulop hendrix wah

dunlop 95q classic wah

what the best, most clasic sounding of the dunlop wah-wah pedal series? thiers so many i have no clue

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah Pedal

dunlop origianal cry baby

Dunlop Crybaby Classic Fasel Inductor Wah Pedal

dulop hendrix wah

dunlop 95q classic wah

First explain classic, and then I'll tell you to buy a weeping demon.

I seriously don't know why people bother with dunlops, IMHO they are inferior.

Personally, I prefer the Vox V847, but there's not a monumental amount of difference between the lot of them, and they can sound very different used with different setups ( especially the unbuffered wahs - in fact, an unbuffered wah in front of a low impedance input, like some classic fuzz pedals, sometimes doesn't "wah" at all). You're going to have to try 'em out and find something you like. And don't discount the Ibanez that Mr Alex mentioned - he's very enamoured with the optical pedal aspect of it, but it's definitely worth a listen, as are the late Charlie Stringer's Snarling Dogs wahs, and you might want to check out Morley's offerings as well. Everybody has a perfect classic wah sound in his head (like maybe Hendrix, Santana or the Theme from Shaft), and the only way to find yours is to try out a bunch of pedals until you get it. The good news is that you probably can't go too far wrong with any random selection from your list.

depends on what you want to play you said classic so i am assuming you want the hendrix type vibe. really buy a stock crybaby, the ultra cheap one with no frills. change out the 33k resitor to 100k and lower the input resitor to around 47k. thats right up there with the original schematic. from my Thomas Organ company wah.

Yeah, most people people have a different idea of what a classic wah sound is, and apart from unbuffered sounds, the weeping demon does it all. Although I might have to sell it, as one of my friends is an Ibanez spam, and I'm afraid that if I let him near it, it wont be a clean wah anymore. Thats the only reason to buy a dunlop, if your friend is also an Ibanez spam. But still, dunlop wouldn't be my first choice, I'd go an old vox probably.

edit : I was watching live 8 the other day, and I could hear some dudes dunlop scratching.

Edited by Mr Alex

that weeping demon is really nice but about 100 bucks over what i was willing to spend, and both medel vox wah sound really great so but i think im just gonna go to the guitar center by my house and play them all see what i like. but i will search around some more, i only thought dunlop cause you know you think wah you think hendrix and all them and the crybaby so i kinda figued i would check those out

Edited by kh15

that weeping demon is really nice but about 100 bucks over what i was willing to spend,  and both medel vox wah sound really great so but i think im just gonna go to the guitar center by my house and play them all see what i like. but i will search around some more, i only thought dunlop cause you know you think wah you think hendrix and all them and the crybaby so i kinda figued i would check those out

err ***? your in the US aren't you? its like 100US from musiciansfriend and music123. that would mean you plan on "taxing" it off a shop.

My vote is for an old Maestro Boomerang or Italian Vox wah, especially if it has a Fasel/film canister type inductor in it. I know it's not in your price range, but those two have the best sound of any wahs I have tried. I really dig the Boomerang.

for those of you who don't get into wah's much i will give you a bit of info you might not know.

the fulltone, has the same 500mh wah inductor and basic circuit as the teese wah that has all the same controls on it, having said that, there is just a couple differences in the teese wah and a dunlop.

the basic teese wah not sure on the no. but it doesn't have any adjustments just on and off. [as well as the wah rocker action, but that is kind of a duh, what i am saying is no extra knobs or switches.]

anyway the teese has a 68k resistor across the inductor vs the dulop's 33k and the fulltone has a pot.

fact other than better quality pcb board and a neater layout and the above mentioned resistor the dulop and the teese are the same.

you can buy any basic wah add some transistor sockets and try a few of them that and the inductor have more to do with the sound than name brands.

heres some required reading for those interested

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm

the technology of the wah over at geofex thanks to rg for his awesome work

http://www.morleypedals.com/vai-1es.pdf

bad horsie wah, forget the cmos switching and stuff and look at the actuall wah part, hmm nearly a parts for parts copy of 846 which was a version of one of the original wah's.

the clyde mccoy, which i could'nt find the link too has the 100k resistor across the inductor and different transistors.

so the point of my post here is that 98% of your high dollar wah's are the same, if you have the cash to throw around for the same thing you can get for 50usd and 15minutes of work the be my guest.

but you can change 3 components on a chromed carvin wah that you pickup for about 50usd and have your own teese fulltone clyde or whatever incarnation you want.

or you can get a ce account and get a already made wah board with a 500mh inductor for 15usd.

ansil

also didnt' read all of drak's post, hey man you know you can mod the badhorsie to take an external foot controller for a more realistic wah action.. just fyi man :D

Well, the original question was what pedal is the most CLASSIC. The original pedal was not a Dunlop or any of those but the most CLASSIC, I didn't say good or good-sounding, cause the originals SUCKED, pedal I know of you can still get still sucks and it is a Dunlop GCB-95. I am not promoting it's purchase, use or geopolitical significance but it sounds as close to the crappy old pedals I remember as anything. Course, my hearing is NOT all that good, anymore. In a way, that is a good thing.

Well, the original question was what pedal is the most CLASSIC. The original pedal was not a Dunlop or any of those but the most CLASSIC, I didn't say good or good-sounding, cause the originals SUCKED, pedal I know of you can still get still sucks and it is a Dunlop GCB-95. I am not promoting it's purchase, use or geopolitical significance but it sounds as close to the crappy old pedals I remember as anything. Course, my hearing is NOT all that good, anymore. In a way, that is a good thing.

my original post cleared that up.

thanks paul i forgot where the clyde was at.