Diablo Finished

My Dad finished what i would like to call is best guitar to date. We called it diablo after the Blood wood he used for the top laminate,head stock, and neck laminate. I don't know alot of the details other then the top wood is bloodwood and it isnt stained at all the wood is naturally that color. It has a semi neck through design and the strings go through the body for more resonance. Im very proud of my father for this guitar and excited about the bass we are creating right now(posted under bass beginnings) check out the pictures and also the website www.riffwork.com to see the other guitars tell him what you guys think thanks.

caution:: Huggies might want to be worn as this guitar can cause irratic bowl movements.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stachickenlo...6d0.jpg&.src=ph

Nice axe! I can't tell what's going on at the neck joint, though. :D Not that I think it looks 'wrong', just that I don't understand all of what's going on there.

Greg

It kinda looks like some wenge and ebony to get some height for the neck, so it would be tall enough over the body. So the string wouldn't sit on the body, just a guess though. Jason

I just had another look (to double-check my thoughts on the heel) and I have to say that I like it even more than I liked it yesterday. Some of the details are extremely well-executed. The faux binding... the light matte finish... the unique but not whacked-out design....

But I still think that-- conscious decision or not-- that heel looks too much like an afterthought. The colours aren't echoed elsewhere in the guitar's design. No matter, since it was a conscious decision, that means HE likes it, which is what matters. :D

Primal-- I thought one of the hallmarks of neckthroughs was that you DON'T see anything going on in the heel area? The "you mostly see that on neckthroughs" or "...make it look like a neckthrough" threw me off, because I'm accustomed to the heel of a neckthrough being seamless between neck and body. No contrasting wood or additional heel blocks, usually.

Greg

By that statement, I meant how the SHAPE of the heel is that of a neckthrough. It doesn't have a Gibson style heel, rather it flows into the body. As for the heel blocks, I've really only seen them utilized in neck through and set neck basses -- not so much in guitars.

You can see an example of this in most, if not all, of Greg Yancey's set neck basses:

http://www.gregyancey.com/

I utilized the same sort of thing on my neckthrough bass, although I admit it was an after thought, or rather an after necessity because I screwed up! Luckily I had a perfect piece of walnut so it doesn't stick out too badly.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/ins...shed/bass10.jpg

I know that it's an accepted way of doing a heel on a set neck, but I've never seen one on a neckthrough. Then again, I haven't seen all the guitars in the world. :D

As for contour, yup, that part of it is great. Nice and smooth here.

Well Unusual i can make no statements as to the closeness of the knobs on my fathers guitars. All i can say is the mans been playing for over 30 years so he knows what he likes and knows whats comfortable and not and besides that its only his 3rd guitar to make so he can only go up from here

I think it looks really nice except for one small visual thing and one other thing I just don't like. To me it looks like the body is too long, just my preference/opinion but I think it woulda looked nicer if it was justa bit shorter. And EMG hz pickups? Oh dear all that good wood muddied up with microphonic pickups :D

Nice work though.