Painting A Maple Fretboard

neck.jpg

Ok this Is the neck Im planing on useing for the Brutalizer V, im moding the headstock, Im painting the back of the neck Black and I want To scalop the fret board and paint it

How Do I paint the fretboard so that the strings Wount just scrape off the paint? :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Now, are you painting the fretboard black too, or jsut clear coating. If you are just clearing, just cover the frets with good masking tape, like 1/8" 3M tape, and prep the board like you would a top, sand to about 600, damping it and sanding the fuzz that goes up a few times, then start the clear.

MinWax CocoaBean wood stain. I use it to centralize the black color of fretboards that have been abused. You have to put it on kinda heavy and wipe the excess off after a day or two with a good thinner but the color is good and the penetration is great, even on dense woods.

Now, are you painting the fretboard black too, or jsut clear coating. If you are just clearing, just cover the frets with good masking tape, like 1/8" 3M tape, and prep the board like you would a top, sand to about 600, damping it and sanding the fuzz that goes up a few times, then start the clear.

Ahh Maiden Im glade Your In on this I was Planing On something Like Your Green guitar half Of It Im scalloping, Im thinking about painting it black Yes

How Did you do your's?

the strings don't touch the wood anyway...your fingers do,but only lightly

Well I do some string Bend's That When I get going I could Do some Damage :D

Maybe Paint Is A bad Idea for me, I could Try something else

the strings don't touch the wood anyway...your fingers do,but only lightly

Well I do some string Bend's That When I get going I could Do some Damage :D

Maybe Paint Is A bad Idea for me, I could Try something else

no...they don't touch the board no matter how far you bend them...try it sometime.

Wes is right, strings very rarely touch the fretboard, if they do at all. On the green, I did the same thing as I posted above, I used 3M tape to mask the frets, then painted the green base, and over that the clear. Keep in mind that with a long time playing it will eventualy start to wear a bit from the fingers rubbing against it. What you can do is stain the fretboard black, then paint it black, so when the wear marks start to show, it will be black instead of bright maple.

I've seen unrestored vintage Tele's/Strat's with maple fingerboards and there's wear in the lacquer, down to bare wood. I don't know if it's strings or fingers responsible. That part of the reason Fender discontinued maple fretboard from '59 to '67. Granted that was with older, less durable lacquer.

I don't know if it's strings or fingers responsible.

it's from fingers...the strings don't touch the board.

why don't you guys get up from the computer,walk over to your guitars,and try to squeeze your strings hard enough for the actual string to hit the board?

come on...i dare you

Wes Is Right, Again as normal :D

ALL HAIL WES B)

I don't know if it's strings or fingers responsible.

it's from fingers...the strings don't touch the board.

why don't you guys get up from the computer,walk over to your guitars,and try to squeeze your strings hard enough for the actual string to hit the board?

come on...i dare you

You mean ACTUALLY LEAVE THE COMPUTER! SACRILEGE!