What Are The Ideal All Around Jazz Bass Pickups?

I have a set of Lace Sensor Jazz in my project jazz bass. I love them. Lots of low end with enough bark to hold their own in almost any tune. The price is decent too.....IIRC I paid less than $100 for the set. I usually only play Rush on the Jazz bass (don't know why) which is a combo of all the styles you mention. Give google a search and I'm sure you can find some sound clips of them on the web. Lace has a bunch of clips on their site and in their forum.

If you play all styles of music that includes jazz, then I would recommend the Bartolini system HR-3.4 with a Bartolini 9J or 9K pair, depending on your bass. If you have an Alder/Basswood bass then try the 9K's and if it's Ash try the 9J's. You could use the system HR-3.3 but for a wider variety of music the midrange control of the 3.4 is necessary.

If you'd pop over to the "A Delemma" thread, there is some useful information. If you'd check out my post, the three other manufacturers I listed are all stellar at making Jazz pickups. (If you don't want to look at my post over there, the companies are Lindy Fralin, Nordstrand, and Aero. I have a lot more detail in that post though!) The insights on Barts and EMGs are useful, and I see BluesPresence has already brought his laudation of the Lace pickups here.

Oh, yeah, on the Mexi standards the wood is alder. (I'm late...)

To sum everything up, a good tone from a pickup is extremely subjective. I'm a kinda modern-vintage tone lover.

A really good thing to consider is split-coil Jazz pickups too. Cuts down on noise.

Edited by PaulSimonon

if you havent already made up your mind, i would recommend

dimarzio ultrajazz.

i use them in my trusty old monterey jazz bass (laugh all you want)

and i love them.

theyve got a punchy, warm vintage sort of tone.

neck pup is almost pbass in the fatness stakes and the bridge is a nice,

refined jaco impression.

best of all, theyre noiseless. i play in a cover band, and these seem to keep up with the dynamic range of music we play.

try them if youre after a set of decent passive pups.