Age Related Playing Issues

bluespresence

16 :DB):D

Unfortuntly due to a football injury, my right knee is often inflamed and quite often causes me a lot of pain, im on anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by the hopstial but dont do anything :D

Luckily my guitaring hasnt been affected by old age ... could be im only 16 but hey lets not get into details now B)

~~ Slain Angel ~~

16  :D  B)  :D

Unfortuntly due to a football injury, my right knee is often inflamed and quite often causes me a lot of pain, im on anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by the hopstial but dont do anything  :D

Luckily my guitaring hasnt been affected by old age ... could be im only 16 but hey lets not get into details now  B)

You're fortunate your body is still a mean self repairing machine. Some injuries if treated properly can repair very well. Unfortunately some injuries are structure related and will become more symptomatic in time...bummer.

I’m guessing many of us have some residuals from athletics. My knees have been shot for years, every time I squat they snap crackle pop like you wouldn’t believe, hurt during berometric changes..etc.

Back in my foolish years while testing out for a black belt I crushed my left middle finger and because of the passion of the moment continued the test and the finger was nailed again separating the knuckle into three pieces. Ever since I’ve not been able to close that finger entirely, as when making a fist, the tip of your finger can touch the callused (sp?) area of that finger on the palm, more than a ½ “ gap remains. It took me a long time to make it so I could play painlessly and resulted in me playing better because it forced me to practice more.

Guess my point is don’t use an injury as an excuse to not do something you love, make it something to be overcome.

I’m another supporter of the Ibuprofen. My old dog who passed away a couple of years ago lived far beyond her expectancy and would have spent that time crippled if it wasn’t for Ibuprofen. I know it’s a dog but the affect on humans is the same.

I agree with you that my body is still reparing but unfortuntly the physiotherapist (sp?) has admitted that the chances of me playing football again are very slim.

I cant remember the details as this was over a year ago and i was in to much of a mood to listen after she said i am not playing football again

~~ Slain Angel ~~

One more thing to add, I have all OXO good grip gadgets in my kitchen (they now make garden tools too) and the wide grips rreally do help....a lot. On my guitar tools I have modified a lot of the handles so they are easier to hold. That causes a lot less fatigue and pain. The little things all add up.

George

Something else that really bothers me is simply standing on concrete for any real length of time. After working on a guitar in my garage for several hours, I really feel the effects. No wonder the check-out people at Home Depot, etc. use those rubber mats while they are standing there all day.

I sit down every chance I get when building, and a good pair of shoes with good support helps, too.

Something else that really bothers me is simply standing on concrete for any real length of time.  After working on a guitar in my garage for several hours, I really feel the effects.  No wonder the check-out people at Home Depot, etc. use those rubber mats while they are standing there all day. 

I sit down every chance I get when building, and a good pair of shoes with good support helps, too.

Even when I stood in my workshop for a day I could feel it at my age. I even wen't out a bought a stool! :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

41, but I think I said that already.

Unfortuntly due to a football injury, my right knee is often inflamed and quite often causes me a lot of pain, im on anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by the hopstial but dont do anything

Ugh! My troubles started at 13 when I grew 8-1/2" in one summer. I was the shortest kid in the class when I left for summer vacation in June and returned the tallest :D The cost was bad knees and stretch marks on my knees and waist that I still have :D

I didn't help the situation by becoming marathon man in my early 20's and running 20+ miles 4-6 times a week. Running is BAD!! Bicycle is GOOD!! Remember that if you're young B)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned their tinnitus yet

I can't hear you my freakin' ears are ringing too loud!!! I HATE that! Mine is always worse in the spring and summer so I always assumed it was allergy related....but I really have no idea what it's from. It goes away after AC/DC concerts because then I go completely deaf for 2 days :D

I'm currently going thru some lower back problems. Must be a pinched sciatic nerve or something, I've been getting shooting pain starting at my lumbar region, into my butt and down my left leg. Had to turn down 1 painting job so far and just trying to keep things light for the time being.

The good side is I found some time to work on the maple tele. Got it all wired up and setup before I take it all apart for clearcoating. She plays realll nice. :D I was afraid the maple body would give higher register tones but thats not the case. :D The Vintage '54 in the bridge really has a lot of bark!

Edited by Southpa

31 Here.

Regarding tinnitus-- I was fortunate enough to have read an interview with Townsend at a very early age and I took what he said to heart. Sure, I've been to loud concerts before without earplugs (who wants to look like a dork at a Metallica show?) but I make it a point to not be directly in front of the speakers and all that stuff. Since I've never been in a gigging band, I haven't had to worry about that being an effect on my hearing.

Greg

Ive always made it a point that i wear the musicians ear plug things when im playing live, Especially when im drumming...

When your sitting infront and near Marshall stacks and other assorted weapons of destruction, it begins to hurt :D

But as others have said, i dont wear them when im watching a band but do make a point about not being rite next to the speakers (who wants to be there when there is usually a perfectly good moshpit :D )

~~ Slain Angel ~~