Is This V Too Generic?

updated sept 15

guitartemplate3om.png

This V template im working on (this forum is in progress, so i think im posting in the right place) is it too generic? I dunno, just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Should i make the V wider perhaps?

I dunno, i'm just fishin' for ideas from you pros :D

Edited by mailman

Im by no means a "pro" but heres just a couple ideas from me...

Perhaps shorten one of the "spikes" lol so it is able to be played sitting down, thats one of the most annoying problems i have with my KKV...

And just because the design is "generic" doesnt mean the finish has to be!

Good luck and keep us upto date with what you do!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think I would bring the points in closer together so that it gives it a sleeker look. Doing the same to the headstock would improve it as well, I think.

Kinda see where your going with that Primal and i agree to a point.. (no pun intended)... perhaps a little but remember its YOUR guitar so with whatever suggestions we give... take em in but also go with what YOU think is right :D

At the moment when i see that headstock i think... Washburn :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I think I would bring the points in closer together so that it gives it a sleeker look. Doing the same to the headstock would improve it as well, I think.

Kinda see where your going with that Primal and i agree to a point.. (no pun intended)... perhaps a little but remember its YOUR guitar so with whatever suggestions we give... take em in but also go with what YOU think is right :D

At the moment when i see that headstock i think... Washburn :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

alright, ill try some drafts a little "shorter" so i can play sitting down, see how it looks

and yeah, the headstock is definately "washburnish dime"...still kinda working on it, my sketches were a little different

thanks for the input

Looking good. Jackson King V style body with a Dean headstock.

"Generic" is an ugly term. I think it looks grand, but to me, the body looks a bit small in comparison to the neck and headstock. The danger there is that the instrument will be neck heavy, which is a real pain in the behind!. Look at a few other Vs and determine a good balence for the length of the fins.

Also, is it Neck Thru/Set neck or bolt on?

Looking good.  Jackson King V style body with a Dean headstock.

"Generic" is an ugly term.  I think it looks grand, but to me, the body looks a bit small in comparison to the neck and headstock.  The danger there is that the instrument will be neck heavy, which is a real pain in the behind!.  Look at a few other Vs and determine a good balence for the length of the fins.

yeh i agree i think the body looks a little to small

unless you were goin for that kind of style/look

Looking good.  Jackson King V style body with a Dean headstock.

"Generic" is an ugly term.  I think it looks grand, but to me, the body looks a bit small in comparison to the neck and headstock.  The danger there is that the instrument will be neck heavy, which is a real pain in the behind!.  Look at a few other Vs and determine a good balence for the length of the fins.

set neck

and also, by when i said "generic" i meant i dont want people saying "whoa, nice Jackson" or "nice washburn"

i wanna be a lil more original than just copying the king v body....but it just looks so nice...

Edited by mailman

looks like that V washburn made for dime. you can prolly find a picture of it online somewhere and trace it to get the general proportions. Also dont shorten the lower leg to make it easier to play sitting down having 2 equal legs works just fine playing sitting down

MzI

looks like that V washburn made for dime.  you can prolly find a picture of it online somewhere and trace it to get the general proportions.  Also dont shorten the lower leg to make it easier to play sitting down having 2 equal legs works just fine playing sitting down

MzI

no way i want to make this look like the washburn dime v

that thing was hideous (the body shape)

plus their headstocks were deliberately crooked, and i want this symetrical

okay, going by this pick of a king v

the KV is wider in points than mine, so should i make my points even closer?

6b_1_b.JPG

and the trem in mine is just about as close as the jackson

im not arguing your points guys, just confirming the changes before i draw more ideas up

heres an updated version of the body

this lookin a bit cooler or should i stick to the traditional look?

i widended the "v" on the bottom, and of course you can see what i did to the sides

and i fillet'ed the points to make em more realistic

headstock more or less stayed the same

protov9ii.gif

Edited by mailman

Now THAT looks kewl!

one question? you put the Vol knob right next to the jack? Good idea for keeping the body heavy but I wonder if youre gonna have to rethink it because of the amount of space the jack socket needs. Also, it may be uncomfortablke to alter the volume in that position. I like to be able to reach the knob between songs and kill the volume.

Still, its looking really kewl! keep it up mate!

okay, so are you guys suggesting the vol knob go

a) on the top

:D angled in the top

c) on the inside of the bottom V wing

and yeah, ill move the vol knob. i was just quickly puttin it in

where do you guyst suggest it go? i always **** up placing these things, one of my designs had em behind the bridge and later found out that was a big no-no :-p

does the headstock still need work/ is it too big?

i kinda like a big one, but if its really gonna throw off the balance then ill adjust accordingly...

Edited by mailman

Nice design, but i just HATE those headstocks.

i think it would look cool if you used one of those horisontal pots that where talked about in some other topic...

anyways, i think you should just raise the knob a little bit and you'll be alright!

EDIT: actually, that knob could stay there... I got a tone knob on my guitar that's even further backwards, and while not being ideal, it's alright...

Edited by Pr3Va1L

• 1 month later...