My New Project Guitar

I was thinkin that if I possibly bought a new squier strat and I was planning on painting the body, installing new pickups and electronics and then I was gunna go and install myself a floyd rose trem.

I feel this might turn into a decent little project guitar that may actually be alot better than the squier it once was.

What do you guys think the final result of this guitar would be ?

I could possibly see many people commenting about the fact with that much work going into a "cheap" guitar.. you might as well just buy a better one that your happy with...

However if you just want a guitar to practice installation and finishing techniques then go for it.. much better to do it on ya cheap strat then a £4000 custom Jackson!

Only thing that might disappoint you in the end is the wood... most cheap squires have poor wood and routing heavily into it could proove interesting... also sound might be an issue

Either way keep us upto date!

~~ Slain Angel ~~

What do you guys think the final result of this guitar would be ?

A Squier.

:D

Edit: all joking aside, I did pretty much the same thing with the Bocaster. It started out as a cheapo Johnson (89 euros)...I replaced the pickups and electronics (30 euros or so) with Fender stuff, replaced the tuners with decent tuners (30 euros) and the string trees (5 euros)...you do the math, i gotta get to work...

But the neck still SUCKs...well, okay it's not that bad, I had to clean up the ends alot...in fact, I bought two tele clones--the other one (a Stagg) had a much better neck, but still nothing to write home about...so I'm reshaping both necks...no guarantees they'll be playable.

The Johnson/Bocaster's body is a very lightweight alder --too lightweight, I say, and the sound suffers because of that. The Stagg's body is built of a much nicer alder --easily twice as heavy as the Johnson. But at least they're not plywood like a lot of Squiers!

Anyway, the upshot is, "cheapo in, cheapo out" --in order to make the Stagg (my current mod project) playable, I'm buying a new neck for it altogether. The Bocaster is beyond real hope --I'm planning on ditching that and building the Bocaster II.

In the meantime, I've learned a LOT about refinishing and I got started in building (well, modding...I'm almost done with my first build though).

The advice to pick up a used guitar is solid --plenty o' that on ebay.

I agree that is is a great way to learn but I think for all the money that your going to be putting into it it's still gonna be a p.o.s. squier. In my opinion its not worth it. I would say either buy a guitar that your happy with or build one from scratch, but I understand that a lot of people don't have the resources to build a guitar from scratch. So my answer is to do whatever makes you happy and if you wanna try and turn a squier into a nice guitar than by all means go ahead, if you can pull it off you will be the first to do so from what I've seen.

I think it would be best to buy a unfinished body and neck and build it up, you could get what you want wood wise and still build a squire. Plus you won't have to tear everything apart and redo it, you would only have to do some easy installing and sometimes difficult finishing. It would suck to have to get all the finish off of it and then just refinish it. Might as well get one that you can just put a finish on. They sell bodies at a lot of places, get one you like with a matching neck and go for it, much easier and probably will end up with a way better guitar! Have fun with it and good luck! Jason

Edited by jmrentis

1 word for ya....

EBAY

Get a cheap one off there for playing with. It doesnt even have to work! you can always salvage the neck, bridge and parts from it and build a new body at some point in future when you feel confident enough, then you will have a decent strat and an old body to play with.

My first guitar was a cheap strat copy i got for £20 cos the electrics didnt work. I learned a lot from it too.

Good luck

I agree with many of the things mentioned above. Many squiers are made of plywood which is one of the worst woods, if not the worst for building a guitar. The necks are usually decent materials, so if the body is a cheap material, buy an un-finished body or a used guitar of better woods. Good luck on whatever you do!

-Matt

what u can do is go ahead and do everything u want to the squire and later but or make a better body. this is what im doing with my squire. im puting lace red blue and silver pups in it and repainteding it. this can teach you what you need to know and u can make it sound good when you get a new body.