How To Start A Band?

Thoughtless 7

Ok...i haven't played in/with a band for well over a year and i miss the arguments, the music and the atmosphere. Since i've started work i haven't spoken to anyone who plays any kind of instrument and i don't talk to many of my old friends (due to them being too busy with their family, which is understandable =P)

So...how would one go about trying to get a band together. I can post tons of posters around my town advertising i am looking for a band/members, but no one seems to pay any attention to them...any other ideas?

Cheers.

Here in Wisconsin there are several local web sites that are very active with people seeking band mates. taxi.com also has a national site that has a state by state breakdown - at least they used to - I haven't been to their site in a while. Start with a search for "musicians new york" or whatever city you are in or near. There are 4 fairly large metro areas near here and they all have there own sites.

Good Luck!!

Edited by bluespresence

I second the responces above. There are a lot of local musicians boards, and they can be a good place to go. Jam nights are a lot of fun and you can meet other musicians. I think you will find there are a lot of people looking for competent musicians (with good attitudes, and are dependable). If you are that, you will find people chasing you down as soon as the word is out.

Peace, Rich

Try and get involved in lots of charity acts... I started off by playing for different charity bands around the area and i found myself gigging more and more often... ok it doesnt pay BUT it does get your name out there and thus leads on to better things (mostly lol)

As for the stage fright .. just get out there and play.. i started off getting stage fright.. paranoid that if i mess up everyone will notice... played a gig.. missed 2 chords compeltly and shredded a solo in the wrong Key but did the crowd care... no cause overall the act was flawless :D

Just go for it and you will be fine

Good luck

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Edited by SlainAngel

...also a good name for a song

Indeed it is. Thats where it comes from really >_>

Idch, I like the way you do things. That would seem to cut out all the band arguments with each musician liking different taste. Put down the basic print of the music and find the others to add to it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Keep it coming though cos its good stuff =D

Yep, and like I said it helps in another way-- you don't have to worry about stage fright so much in front of prospective band members ...they can hear on the demo how good you are when you're feeling comfortable, that'll give them more confidence.

There's another way I like too, but it takes a little longer ---train your friends. I taught my best friend how to play bass way back when --he turned out to be an excellent bass player, looked great on stage, and we had a blast for years. Of course, those were the punk days, you didn't have to be some stinkin' virtuoso to make music...

oh, and if you have a crappy player/singer. Go tell him/her to practice more, just straight up. Our bassist sucks really bad and he won't listen to us when we tell him to practice, but we're best friends so it's really hard to tell him that we wanna kick him out. Especially when there's this guy we know who wants to join who is a mad crazy bass player. He started playing jazz/bebop with a stand up bass and he's just insane with the electric.

You'll wanna make good friends with your band members if you wanna get anywhere.....or at least that's what I think. I'm really crazy when it comes to music but writing a song together is like.....just puttin the band's mind and soul into song pretty much.

You might wanna think about what kinda music/lyrics you guys wanna do. My band's sorta like a punk/ska/rock/screamo type band when I'm on drums but when we're playing somewhere where I can't move my drums over.....I move to guitar and that's when we become more like a punk/blues/hard rock/screamo type music and our music tends to have more focus on the music than the lyrics, cuz me and the other guitarist feel that music shouldn't be played if it's just about the message, cuz message suck. I've got a sorta Ramones/Aquabats kinda lyric feel....like a pointless kinda thing sometimes....like a point, but a not so important point most of the time. The other guitarist's got like a political/rebellionish punk kinda feel to his, and our bassist just writes horrible emo stuff that we never end up playing because there's no real point to it.

Sorry for all the unnecessary stuff......good luck with your band bro