First Guitar

Alright, I've been considering building my own guitar for a long time and, I'm gonna do it. Doesn't look to hard. But, I do have plenty of questions that I coudn't find complete answers to throughout the forum. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. Oh well.

First, I plan on building the body completely out of cocobolo wood. I read that dence woods give a thicker, richer tone. I'm young and I've got a good back so I think I can support a good couple of pounds for a while. I also think that with an emerald green stain it'll look beautiful. What are your opinions on using cocobolo wood?

Second, sense this is my first guitar I'll be ordering the neck online sense it's just too important to mess up. My question is, How should I go about ordering a neck online? (I know that's vague, Just tell me what you would do)

What tools are needed to carve a guitar's body? And are the same tools used to form the cutaways for the arm and body in stratocasters?

Those Floyd Rose bridges are ridiculous. What makes them so special? And how do you set a bridge in the right spot? I'm actually considering having the bridge set by a porfessional at a shop because misplacing the bridge could completely destroy weeks of work. And isn't setting the bridge one of the last steps before electronics?

Lastly, what is a good electric guitar building book I should look into before I start?

Alright, I think that's all of them. Though, with my luck I'll have a hundred more after the first day of building.

Thanks!

Alright, I've been considering building my own guitar for a long time and, I'm gonna do it. Doesn't look to hard. But, I do have plenty of questions that I coudn't find complete answers to throughout the forum. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough. Oh well.

First, I plan on building the body completely out of cocobolo wood. I read that dence woods give a thicker, richer tone. I'm young and I've got a good back so I think I can support a good couple of pounds for a while. I also think that with an emerald green stain it'll look beautiful. What are your opinions on using cocobolo wood?

Second, sense this is my first guitar I'll be ordering the neck online sense it's just too important to mess up. My question is, How should I go about ordering a neck online? (I know that's vague, Just tell me what you would do)

SINCE please :-D

Well depends. If you want to build a Strat like you mention afterwards, there are plenty of resources where you can buy a Strat neck. You should be more specific or we cannot help you. Do you want a completely custom neck? A neck exactly like those of a famous guitar? How many frets? What woods? And so on...

What tools are needed to carve a guitar's body? And are the same tools used to form the cutaways for the arm and body in stratocasters?

Well this has been answered in many posts so do a search or just read the sticky topics, like this one

Those Floyd Rose bridges are ridiculous. What makes them so special? And how do you set a bridge in the right spot? I'm actually considering having the bridge set by a porfessional at a shop because misplacing the bridge could completely destroy weeks of work. And isn't setting the bridge one of the last steps before electronics?

If you like to use the tremolo for special lead guitar techniques, like those of Maestro Steve Vai or Van Halen or Satriani and so on, Floyds ore similar (like Ibanez Edge trems) are the only ones that keep reasonably in tune after such use. Bridge placement is more or less predetermined by the type and the scale you are going to use. If you read up and ask, it shouldn't be so difficult. What bridge were you thinking of?

Lastly, what is a good electric guitar building book I should look into before I start?

Melvyn Hiscocks book "make your own electric guitar" is usually the one that everybody would advise you to get. Else, there is the one by Martin Koch and also others.

As far as what tools to use to carve the body, I guess it depends on what you have available to you. The first body I cut out was done with a jigsaw, belt sander, rasp, and a set of chisels. Would I do it that way again? Never. These days I use a bandsaw, router, pattern makers file, rasp, chisels, handplanes, and scrapers. You could cut the body a million different ways I guess, some ways are just more efficient and less time consuming than others. Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your build!

Nate Robinson :D

It's not that hard to build one. It isn't easy to do one great. It takes time and patience and a large ammount of skill, experience and a well honed sense of design.

Dense woods can transfer string energy better and increase sustain . . .but they can also be oily and damp energy transfer. All woods are different. As to a solid coco guitar, I personally wouldn't recommend it but that doesn't mean it can't be done or you shouldn't do it. If you haven't gotten your hands on a piece of cocobolo yet, you should. Even a small piece will illustrate how incredibly dense and HEAVY it is. This doesn't yet address the issues of gluing and finishing cocobolo which can be problematic.

RE: bridges . . .actually the first step. In so much as having it and designing the guitar with it in central mind.

RE: books . . .Melvyn Hiscocks and Martin Kochs books are both good and both should be read for a decent foundation on the process.

RE:searching here . . . most of what you asked is in here in the forums and would be found wityh a very modest search. Many will help you with beginner questions, but you will be better served by putting more effort in seeking basic info yourself. It's readily available and the searching skills will help you later when you REALLY have some tough questions.

Good Luck!

KOMODO :D

One thing to STRONGLY consider with Cocobola,

It is a HIGHLY toxic wood, known carcinogen, and creates severe allergic conditions. I learned the hard way with it. IF you are going to use it, use gloves all the time, and ALWAYS wear a respirator, not just a dust mask, goggles are a good idea too. I will never use cocobola again due to the reaction I had with it and I know of at least 2 others who have had similar reactions while using it.

Dense woods can transfer string energy better and increase sustain . . .but they can also be oily and damp energy transfer.

This doesn't yet address the issues of gluing and finishing cocobolo which can be problematic.

Is Cocobolo one of those oily woods that damps energy transfer?

And why would gluing and finishing cocobolo be problematic?

Also, I've been looking into using a mahogney back with a cocobolo top. Whould this possibly work better or worse?

As for it being a poisonous wood I will be taking every percaution to ensure that my guitar doesn't kill me.

It is a HIGHLY toxic wood, known carcinogen, and creates severe allergic conditions.  I learned the hard way with it.  IF you are going to use it, use gloves all the time, and ALWAYS wear a respirator, not just a dust mask, goggles are a good idea too.  I will never use cocobola again due to the reaction I had with it and I know of at least 2 others who have had similar reactions while using it.

Solid advise! You should be mindful of your exposure to any new wood products you have never worked with before. Some woods are much more likely to cause a reaction (like Cocobolo), but any can cause mild to severe reactions. Be Careful!

Peace, Rich

It is a HIGHLY toxic wood, known carcinogen, and creates severe allergic conditions. I learned the hard way with it. IF you are going to use it, use gloves all the time, and ALWAYS wear a respirator, not just a dust mask, goggles are a good idea too. I will never use cocobola again due to the reaction I had with it and I know of at least 2 others who have had similar reactions while using it.

How bad of a reaction was it? What happened to you? And also were you wearing protection when you worked with it? I have read this in a couple different sites and plan on using some solid protection, but I was just curious of how bad it was for you and if you were wearing protection at the time. Thanks guys for the advice, I'll bet some people that bought some or are going to buy some don't even know that it is toxic. I learned by surfing this site and some of the links to wood pages, but if I hadn't, I bet I wouldn't of thought twice about using it and probably wouldn't have bought any proper protection for when I use it. Later. Jason

When I had my reaction I had been wearing a dust mask and gloves, any skin that had been exposed was itchy, and my throat swelled up until I nearly couldn't breath, all I'd done was bookmatch a top and sand the seam flat. In total maybe 15 minutes exposure to it. My eyes watered and itched, it was bad, I went to the hospital and was put on a ventalin, it was a strong allergic reaction, mahogany makes me sneeze, but nothing like that was. I'll never use it again personally.

I have never had any real problems with Cocobolo myself, but there are a couple of woods that make my skin react if I don't cover up well. The thing about these reactions is you never know. The first time you are exposed you won't have a reaction (because you can't be alergic until you have been exposed at least once before). If you do have a reaction it can be mild or severe. The key is to be aware of the possibility and protect yourself.

Jeremy is a huge advocate for safety. I listen to his warnings closely, and I really appreciate the fact that he cares enough to try to keep us safe.

Peace, Rich

I have some planks of some weird exotic wood --I forget the name now, but it's pretty obscure stuff) --in fact, the only reference I found to it was to point out that it's suspected of causing contact dermatitis.

I worked with it a little bit, didn't have any real problems, but my skin did feel a little itchy afterwards.

I bought a respirator and appropriate filters (dust and solvents) and ALWAYS wear it when I'm working. It cost me 40 euros altogether --the filters were 10 euros for each set. And it's worth it.

I didn't know mahogany provoked reactions either--I'll take that under advisement.