to buy or not to buy

weezerboy

...ok, i've seen an ad for a marshall G100DFX head with a marshall cab for 419 pounds.

is this amp any good because i've read mixed reviews... i play mostly heavy(ish) rock...smashing pumpkins...nirvana etc.

the coolest thing about that amp is the effects.you can get a nice clean sound with chorus and the reverb is really good.it does give a good smashing pumpkins type tone but personally i think it is not great.for the price though it is good.the lead tone is killer.mostly cause of the reverb.

thanks

the bad reviews that i've read say how irritating the cooling fan is and that the sounds are a bit top-heavy/tinny.

i have the version before that, the MG100cd, and it sounds exactly like that, to much bottom end, and if u touch the treb, it get to screatchy, the best way to imagine it is, think of what a crappy knock off of the emg 81 would sound like on an old peavy solid state amp cranked, and with absolutly no mid range, played through a sub woofer... the "FX" just means they added like chorus and some echo i think to the same head... i wouldn't recomend it unless, really desperate for something that's just plain loud and cheap, or u have no ear for tone. It's definitly on my list of "why did i buy that?" right now i just use it as a slave amp to my roland. if u want a good loud and cheap half stack, look into the Peavey supreme.

thanks

the bad reviews that i've read say how irritating the cooling fan is and that the sounds are a bit top-heavy/tinny.

i have the version before that, the MG100cd, and it sounds exactly like that, to much bottom end, and if u touch the treb, it get to screatchy, the best way to imagine it is, think of what a crappy knock off of the emg 81 would sound like on an old peavy solid state amp cranked, and with absolutly no mid range, played through a sub woofer... the "FX" just means they added like chorus and some echo i think to the same head... i wouldn't recomend it unless, really desperate for something that's just plain loud and cheap, or u have no ear for tone. It's definitly on my list of "why did i buy that?" right now i just use it as a slave amp to my roland. if u want a good loud and cheap half stack, look into the Peavey supreme.

yeah it sounds to me like an old crate combo amp.but the effects ARE cool.flanger ,chorus,etc.my wife has one and i play through it when i feel like hearing the reverb.it is kind of toneless though.but nirvana and smashing pumpkins have that same kind of toneless sound.

ya, if u want nirvana sound just get a boss DS-1 (by the way alot of pro's use this pedal as the base of their sound) and a good on channel clean tone tube amp. voila.... but if this is all u can get well, it's still an amp if ur not to fussy.. but i wouldn't use it all the time... kinda hurts my ears.. :D

i already have a marshall valvestate 80w combo, would it be possible to add an extension cab? how much would it cost and how would i do it?

do you have a speaker out on the back?if you do you only have to plug it in to a 2 by 12 or 4 by i2.i used to play combos through a 4 by 12 all the time.

No, line out isn't sufficient. That's to connect it to say a mixer for recording, or to a slave/power amp which you could then connect to a bigger cab. Cheaper to buy a better/bigger amplifier.