1 5/8" locking nut?

I bought my Floyd (Schaller) bridge from stewmac and didn't consider the nu width to be much of an issue. The description lead me to believe that the standard width was 1 5/8".

I did a quick / inaccurate measurement on my Ibanez RG550 and it seemed close enough. Now that I have a little more experience under my belt, I have come to realize that the 1 5/8" will probably be noticabley smaller than what I am used to.

I don't think I can change it at this point since the neck has been shaped. Any idea how noticable this will be when playing? What do you guys usually use?

Can you use a different nut with the same bridge or do you have to match the bridge span with the nut width?

I guess I forgot to mention that I am building a guitar, and using my RG550 as a guide.

As for the radius information - this is very confusing. The fretboard I bought from Warmoth said it was a 10" radius (specifically for Floyd bridges/nuts). The stewmac site says something about a 14" radius? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

My original message was just to see if anyone uses the 1 5/8" size nut, and if anyone would know if going from a RG550 size nut to a 1 5/8" would be noticable (on a different neck and guitar).

1 5/8 is the standard for strat's.... ibanez is a bit wider, u probably won't notice it, but if u decide to get the right size i might take that nut off ur hands, i would prefer a black one, but meh.... and does it have the bolt on design or of the 2 wood screws to attach it to the neck?

Thanks,

I am going to try the 1 11/16 nut and see if it fits. If it does, I'll let you know about the 1 5/8". It is black, and I'm not sure which mounting option it is. I think it is the bolt on type (through the neck).

Does anyone know what the deal is with the 14" radius that stewmac has on their web site? I thought the standard was 10" or is this something else?

Thanks,

Dave

I guess I forgot to mention that I am building a guitar, and using my RG550 as a guide.

As for the radius information - this is very confusing. The fretboard I bought from Warmoth said it was a 10" radius (specifically for Floyd bridges/nuts). The stewmac site says something about a 14" radius? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

My original message was just to see if anyone uses the 1 5/8" size nut, and if anyone would know if going from a RG550 size nut to a 1 5/8" would be noticable (on a different neck and guitar).

Warmoth's nut is probably a Schaller, thus 10" radius. The Stew Mac one is a knock off. I bought one of those because I happen to have a neck that was 14" radius. I use 1 5/8th's nut on some other guitars, and I have several Ibanez RG's. The thing with the RG nut width is that it's in between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16". It's slightly less than 1 11/16". A happy medium I suppose.

Thanks Rocket,

The bridge / nut are from stewmac and are definitely Schaller. The fretboard is from Warmoth and is supposedly 10" radius. Thanks for the info. Let me know if something doesn't look right.

Dave

OK, looking at the website the trem is a Schaller, comes with a locking nut and both are a 10" radius, same as actual Floyd Rose. You did get the locking nut with the trem right? I mean you didn't have to purchase the nut seperately? The locking nut they sell alone is 14" in radius, and does not say Schaller. Looking at the quality of mine(like I said, I bought one of those) versus a real Floyd Rose lock nut is what lead me to assume it was a knock off, it just didn't look as quality as my Floyd Rose nuts.

Thanks again Rocket - the differences in radius were very confusing. I think I might stick with the 1 5/8". I actually ordered the 1 11/16" (14" radius) when I didn't know what the 14" was refering to. I'll see if I can send it back. I wonder why they chose 14" for their spare parts when the ship a 10" with the system?

Stew-Mac

Bridges and tailpieces>Guitar, tremolo>Floyd Rose locking tremolo and parts>Floyd Rose locking tremolo

On this particular page, it says that the saddles have a 10" string radius. HOWEVER, in the catalog, as I look at it right now, it says that the saddles on the same bridge (item #1270) have a 14" string radius! :D

CONFUSING!

Aaron

I would bet on the Schaller being 10" even though it does say 14" in the catalog (***?). But it would be good to double check the radius like Scott said.

I am really getting worried :D . I just called stewmac and the tech guy said that the bridge is for 14" radius. He may have just been looking in the catalog though. He said that the nut was an R2 and that meant that it was 14".

I thought that the R2 was for R = right handed 2 = 1 5/8" width? Where does the radius information come from? How many different bridges are available - what radius options exist? B)

I am really getting worried  :D . I just called stewmac and the tech guy said that the bridge is for 14" radius. He may have just been looking in the catalog though. He said that the nut was an R2 and that meant that it was 14".

I thought that the R2 was for R = right handed 2 = 1 5/8" width? Where does the radius information come from? How many different bridges are available - what radius options exist? B)

No R2, is 1 5/8" width, 10" radius. AT LEAST as far as the real, original Floyd Rose stuff goes. ALL Floyd Rose bridges are 10" radius. They do make some nuts with 15" radius. But not bridges.Real Floyd Rose. I'm not as familiar with the Schaller stuff.

And you can always change the radius of the bridge with shims.

OK, I actually have some answers for a change:

The stewmac web site was wrong. The Schaller bridge they sell is a 14" radius bridge with a 10" radius nut. AllParts has shims that supposedly work.

I have ordered a Original Floyd bridge that is supposed to be 10".

Do you guys have a preference? Is Schaller any better than the original? Any reason to poke around with shims if I could just send it back for a refund?

Thanks for sticking with this one, I really appreciate your help.

Dave

Myself, I like the Original Floyd Rose. Actually i'm using the "PRO" model now, but used an OFR for years. I'm sure Schaller is good too. But if you ordered an OFR, and your neck radius is 10" just stick with that.