Quilted Sapele

erikbojerik

looks nice, but i really dont like the way people bid ebay, jumping from 190 to 425 is that really necessary when your outbidding yourself or your just raising your own bid

ok im done ranting

MzI

Nice rant! I fully agree with you. :D

Wow,

That dollar amount seems way too high, but I guess it's worth what someone is willing to pay. That could yield 2 full acoustic sets @500+ each without machining. Gilmer has similar(obviously not an exact match, but what I would conscider top notch figure and very compairable) blocks. They are selling 1 piece for backs and 1 for sides 2"+ (4 full acoustic sets min. cost per set @$75 without machining) for $300 total. Maybe its for a VERY special project.

Peace, Rich

I cannot beleive someone is going to pay $1000USD+ for that. Sure its very nice... but ONE THOUSAND dollars!?! its madness! Thats like 2/3 of what I am paying for my custom ormsby...

10 hours and 21 minutes... should be heaps of time for the guy to come up with a good enough excuse to hopefully stop his wife beating him with a baseball bat :D

- Dan

Check out his other wins, he has ecclectic tastes and money to burn on things like crocodile skins and dried skulls, so he can definitely afford it without wincing.

I agree tho, too much money, ...wonder what he's gonna make with it, a bar top mebbe?

He seems to have a hankering for things from Africa...isn't Sapele from Africa also?

It seems to maybe be part of a larger 'theme' for something.

Eesh. I mean, it's a big-ass board, but why not head straight to Gilmerwoods and get one similar for (probably) a good bit less.

This being said, the stuff, cut up as acoustic back/side sets, is going for crazy!high prices. Just check LMI's website. I've got 4 sets of the stuff, for acoustics, and lets just say I paid less for all of them combined (and they are all at least equivalent to their top grade sets) for quite a bit less than one set would set me back there. It's wild, gorgeous stuff though, that's for sure. If this guy feels like marketing to the people who buy those sets at those prices, he can recoup his money and then some.

Also, Sapele's a lovely wood for necks and such. Bit heavier than Honduran and Khaya or Sipo (the other 'African Mahoganies'), generally plain/ribbon figured, but there's really naught wrong with it. Besides, it can be had for very little cash if it's 'boring' looking.

Edited by mattia