Buliding Guitar For Newbie

Hi well as the name suggests i am going to embark on building a guitar... for the first time i will need help, and tips and general info, if you guys could help it eould be great!

Well i plan to make a guitar off parts bought off ebay, i have seen a good body, and neck, with all the machine heads and frets and bolts attached! My first question is what else do i needto buy, i have found s few things,

Tuning/volume knobs

Pickup selector

Guitar jack socket

Guitar Jack plate

humbuckers eventully. ( i will need help chosing them)

My Biggest worry is wirring, i can solder fine, but i am not sure how to wire the humbuckers, switch and knobs togeter.

The body is a les paul, i plan to make it black with gold hardware

p.s waht do call that thing which the knobs attach to? not the guitar whats the switchlike thing called

Cheers!

1) :D read up on things, Hiscocks book for instance is great. There is so much info needed for this that we could not possibly tell you every thing you should consider here in reply, although buying premade parts helps a lot, BUT

2) DO NOT buy anything yet! For instance not every neck works with every body, you could not buy a Stratocaster-type neck to put on a Les Paul-type body for the scale length, the neck pocket, the neck attachment type, the widths and heights and even the neck angle are all different... What is the fingerboard radius? Will it work with the bridge? and so on...

3) Read all the tutorials on the main projectguitar.com site, it should help a lot to get an idea beforehand before the book arrives, and

4) Check out the supply section on www.projectguitar.com before buying anything...

5) Clear up ideas and make yourself as clear as possible... (for instance what does the Fender pickguard have to do with the black Les Paul? I don't understand...)

6) With the "switchlike thing the pickups are attached to": Do you mean the pickup selector switch?

Yes, like everyone has said, you need to really start by reading a book or two on building. Martin Koch's "Building Electric Guitars" and Melvyn Hiscock's "Make You Own Electric Guitar" are essential readings for building guitars. Get them first, and read them.

Stew Mac has a parts list for Stratocaster and others, but not a Les Paul. But it will give you a basic idea of what parts go into building a guitar. The best advice is to read, then search Project Guitar to find answers to your questions you may still have after reading. Good luck with your guitar.

MaTT Vinson

by the thing the knobs attach to, do you mean a control plate like on a telecaster?

it wont fit on a carve top les paul. or do you mean potentiometers?

Get the book Build your Electric Guitar by melvyn Hiscock, It will help.

check to make sure the neck will fit the body.

soldering is not a big deal. a solder gun can be bought for 15 bucks, and soldering is easy.

As for humbuckers, It depends on the type of music you will be playing.

Id suggest passive, not active.

If money is no object, Id suggest using a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge and a 59 or jazz in the neck. thats a really versitile combination.

If money is really no object, use prs pickups

However, Money is usually a factor, so Id suggest buying mighty mite or bill lawrence, or kent armstrong pickups.

Just dont buy one of those dimarzio dual sound pickups. Originally they were called super-distiortions, but after a few years of popularity, people realized they really sounded terrible when clean, and pretty lifeless even when distorted. (people can be pretty stupid, they should have realized it earlier.) So Dimarzio renamed them "dual sound" and now uses 4 conductor wiring instead of 2. thats the only real difference.

Decided to re write what i was going to post,

Ok plan is to buy an Gibson Les paul body and neck in black in the hope to make a black beauty.

[img=http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/images/custom_blackbeauty.JPG]http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/images/c...blackbeauty.JPG

Parts i will need to buy:

Body (with Bridge and tailpiece)

Neck (with macine heads and bolts)

2x Humbuckers

Pickgaurd

Backplate(s)

3 way toggle switch

Jackplate and socket

4x Black knobs

Studs

4x 500k ohms Pots

Mounting Rings

I will also need to buy a soldering kit and i will use shielded guitar wire,

Also i found a site with a les paul wiring diagram.

So what do you think?

Edited by xanda90

Xanda, I just don't get it --why not just buy the guitar you want then?

Okay, maybe not the Gibson, but an Epiphone or one of the other knockoffs (many of which are probably made in the same factory anyway).

What you're really talking about is assembling a guitar--which can be fun too I suppose. In which case, you can always take apart the guitar you buy and reassemble it. :D

You're not going to save any coin doing it your way, even though I understand that prices are pretty steep in the UK.

And you risk ending up with woefully mismatched parts. And a lot of cheap stuff that you'll want to replace anyway.

Tell you what though, if you really want to have fun with this AND get your feet wet with an actual project, you should looking into REFINISHING --which is a lot of fun all by itself.

That way, you're not limited to finding only a black LP --you don't care about the color, because you'll be stripping it down anyway.

But yeah, in the meantime, you need to read up....hit the books boy!

Yeah, the thingis i plan to buy second hand parts, where can i look for more infomation on refinishing and repainting. I plan to get a body form a old gibson but the paint is knackered so i will need to redo that, and a epiphone neck, i want to change the logo on the neck, NOT the epiphone, there is a logo that says special 2 and i want to change that to Les Paul. How should i do that?

Id suggest sticking with the 2 pickup version (cheaper, easier, and you dont worry about hitting your pick on the middle pickup)

as for decent cheap pickups:

1. Look on Ebay. emg and seymour duncan pickups still go for about 50-60 dollars, so dont buy them, but off-brand pickups can be bought very cheap

2. Mighty Mite mightybuckers Ive seen these on ebay for $15 a pair

3. Mighty Mite motherbuckers I bought a pair of these new for 43 dollars but I havnt used them yet

4. emg select humbuckers about 25 from stewmac

5. stewmac golden age pickups- Ive heard good things about them.

Howdy,

I just received my fancy new pre made "stratocaster type body" i purchased off ebay. With the excitement of a child at christmas i tore the packaging open, and found a black and shiney stratISH body. to my amazement it came with a pickguard. great i think, so i pull out the pre wired pickguard i bought, my new tremolo bridge and got ready to attach. oh no wait. this thing is a piece of crap.

1. the pickguard was the wrong shape.

2. the routing didn't fit the pots

3. the holes were misalligned

4. the tremolo cavity was too narrow and thus useless

5. the holes in the pickguard didn't fit the screws

6. the holes for the bridge were too narrow and also too shallow

7. the "bathtub routing" went so deep the body was paper thin between the rear and front routing

8. the jackplate actually fit to my amazement

9. the neck socket was crap. nice and tight, but useless. small gaps here and there. terrible

10. when i attempted to attach my non functioning tremolo springs the screws ripped out of the body (ouch that one hurt) this revealed a large crap going horizontally through the body.

crap crap crap crap crap

moral of the story. build it yourself, or buy a real one. don't buy it on ebay, there's a lot of crap out there. avoid "acoustic angel" on ebay and don't be as naive as me.

bouli

I just finished a 'strat-ish' guitar. Bought one of those Saga kits for something like $85. I wanted a natural, matte, cherry finish (essentially just stained wood) but those Saga bodies have a 'sealer' on them that must have been developed to resist anything short of a nuclear attack. After a LOT of elbow grease I finally got it off. I stained the wood and covered it with a matte finish. Looks old and beat up (which is what I was looking for) and for the most part it plays okay. But it was a relatively inexpensive way to learn what goes where.

Next stop, build a V................ :D