Super Glue Finish On Necks?

Hey all...

I was boppin' around on another site and I read athread in which a bunch of people were singing the praises of necks finished with super glue. What the...?!?!?! I'd never heard of this until a little while ago. Turns out folks like EBMM do it upon request and a lot of techs/luthiers will apply this sort of finish as well.

I realize super glue is more or less a 'plastic' substance that is activated with exposure to... to something. Moisture? Oxygen?

Anyway... Do you guys know anything about the procedures and/or materials required? I've got two projects coming up and, if it's really as cool as folks say it is, I'd like to give a go at an application of this type.

Whatcha guys think?

MLAR, Cor

Edited by Uncle Os

I would only use it if I was stabalizing a wood. It will make the wood as strong as plastic if it's a small piece like a humbucker mounting ring or knob. Remember though, CA glue requires oxygen(and more often than not, a basic[as opposed to acidic] surface as well) to dry properly. For this reason, any porus woods such as mahogany should have their grains filled prior to exposing to CA.

Negatory! CA actually cures faster and better if exposure to air is limited. It require moisture to cure, usually only the moisture present in the air, but you can speed it's cure time by very lightly moistening the surfaces to be glued (only if they're absorbant, not when gluing metal or plastic!).

Yeah, it's very toxic to work with in large quantities, you would need a respirator and goggles to apply enough to do a neck...

...but yes, I see no problems with doing that at all, I think it would work fine.

CA can get a whitish opaque appearance from moisture being trapped in it if you use it on a humid day or use retarder too quickly, so be aware..

I read an article a few years back that Clapton had some of his "player" guitars finished that way. But he did it so it would feel natural, like raw wood. The idea was to soak the raw wood with CA, and then sand it back so what you had was basically impregnation, but not a surface coating. Then the neck could feel like raw Maple, but have better protection than an oil finish.