Stewmac's Trussrods.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried what Ibanez does to avoid rod rattle. When I had an Ibanez neck in the shop that had fell over and broke the neck, which I had the pleasure of fixing :D , I noticed that they use a small piece of foam pad under the truss rod nuts.

FoamTrussPadding.jpg

I'm tempted to try it on a guitar neck I build in the future since it does a great job of stopping the rattle and you won't take the chance on getting silicon on your wood by accident. Although, I've had no problem with silicon when used correctly. I also agree with Wes, it's better to use the correct size bit when installing the Hot Rod, you want a snug fit.

I thought I would throw in some additional comments about the Hot Rod. I am using it for a couple guitars right now. I am putting the adjusting nut at the headstock. The normal Hot Rod installation puts the adjustable rod at the bottom, which means that the adjusting nut must be buried pretty deep in your headstock (straight headstock, not angled), making it weaker and uglier. I am mounting mine upside down, with the adjusting nut on the top. (Stew Mac has confirmed that this works fine.) That makes a much nicer package, with the adjusting nut tucked neatly right under the fingerboard surface. The disadvantage to this (of course) is that the adjustment direction is reversed (counter-clockwise to tighten). To me that is a minor compromise. It's a nice way to improve the packaging of a dual-action rod. (If we could get Stew Mac to build a version of the Hot Rod with the threading reversed, this would be really slick.)

Thanks guys. I will definately be planning out the thicknesses to make sure that my neck gives enough room for the trussrod. My headstock will be angled back, so there shouldn't be as many problems, and with the bit... I'm going to see what's in the shop, but if not I'll use the site from jay5 (thanks!) because it looks better than stewmac (meaning cheaper) :D

• 1 month later...
I am mounting mine upside down, with the adjusting nut on the top.

Ive done that on a strat a couple of years ago for the same reason as you. Works really good

If we could get Stew Mac to build a version of the Hot Rod with the threading reversed, this would be really slick.)

I second that