The John Shaft Guitar

Yes, it was a real fly.

Maybe it was Jimi's spirit imparting a little Mojo-Sauce on the body.

:D

Drak, that is pretty darn cool. I love the idea of a hollowbody with a floyd. You don't see that everyday. Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, I thought it would be something different to try, and it's still pushing me past my existing limits, there are areas of this build that I have never done before, I could still blow it and WOD be happy boy, hehehe (although I certainly hope not :D )

OK, first casualty of the day, the rear set of quilted Maple. B)

I had traced the 3 cutouts onto the wood, and put the control cavity on the wrong side (dumbass).

I caught it as -soon- as I put the exacto knife thru it (to start the hole for the saw blade), but too late, it's gotta be right or it's gotta be trash.

Also, as I was cutting out the spring cavity cover, I had rounded the 4 corners, and I didn't go slow enough with the scrollsaw and the 4 corners wound up having 4 different curvatures to them, so the back set is now toast, and WOD will not starve to death this week, not much more than a Chicken McNugget to him tho... :DB)

I think it's important to tell everyone of the mistakes as well as the sucesses so noobs don't think I don't ever make a mistake, I am one set of quilted Maple in the dumper now. :D

But that's OK, I had 3 sets from the same slab, just gotta glue up another set now.

Or maybe I will find some other wood that looks more like the top does, so in a fatal error, tremendous opportunity exists. :D

You never cease to amaze Drak. Or to find the freakin coolest peices of wood avaliable to man kind :D:DB)

This is a great idea adding a floyd to a freaking huge hollowbody. It has the same dimentions as my first guitar. It should have some killer tone! I can't wait to see it finished!

Edited by Godin SD

OK, just because you made a special point to ask, I will not WOD that bad momma, and I will keep it out front of the pile until it's done.

Thanks for the nice words, I'd like to give it a tryout myself one day, see how that Floy's gonna act.

I got sidetracked with some Teles this past week, hehehe...

Whoa, man. That top makes me dizzy just looking at it! :D

Actually, the layout with the burl and the flame reminds me a lot of a blue tele you did a while back. Coincidence, or is there a connection here?

This one, I believe, but the thread has no pictures, and it appears you WOD'ed this one anyway.

Edited by skibum5545

I wondered when we were gonan here about this puppy again, what abotu the other one you were working on with the double iceman horns? whats up with that sucker?

She's still here. I have about 20 guitars all in the middle of builds right now, so they take turns attention-wise.

amazing wood.. great..

Drak. i wonder you make it for matal machine guitar or natural guitar?

Thank you.

Neither really, I just wanted to make a big old Gibson hollowbody with a Floyd on it.

I never know how they're going to sound or what they will sound best for until they're done. It's 50% me and 50% nature.

Actually, the layout with the burl and the flame reminds me a lot of a blue tele you did a while back. Coincidence, or is there a connection here?

No, no connection. I do really like the way the pattern lays on this guitar tho, they were meant for each other I think.

• 4 weeks later...

Me insane...maybe just a little... :D ...BUT it's usually you who do the insane stuff! :D

Hadn't heard anything about this guitar in a while and you being on your killing spree made me uncertain. Maybe you had messed something up and toasted this baby.

Anyway, It's great to hear that it's just sitting there waiting for you to finish it.

Good luck and keep up the good work! Now back to the rawhide! B)

Naahh, just kidding. Most people had strong reactions when you destroyed your 30-day 5a Quilt Tele. People started to become paranoid thinking that you'd destroy anything. Haha! Even though you just destroyed one guitar people reacted to it as if it was a killing spree.

But enough of that. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your guitar projects! :D

I figured that's what you were referring to.

Read the thread closer :D , the only thing that will happen to that guitar is the veneer will be sanded off and some new veneer put back on.

No killing spree.

But thanks for the nice words, I can't wait for it to be done too! :D