Pickup Installation

guitarman3242000

C'mon perry, give the guy a break. After all, it's an easy question.

Dee ansa is tree fitty. Yous wants yous pickup in dat dar geetar? Way, dat a bee tree fitty.

What Perry was trying to say is: "Why don't you go ask the guy you want to install it how much he will charge you? Oh, you say you don't know who you want to install it? Well, then you'd better go find someone."

Edited by thegarehanman

yes, and you could be like the guy who came into my shop last week. Didnt like the quote i gave him, went and bought a soldering iron (or, acquired one), proceeded to TOTALLY stuff it all up, killed a pot, and dropped the hot iron on the nice baby blue finish, leaving a massive brown burn.

I "re-installed" the pickup for him today, at a much higher price than i originally quoted him. He loves it now. Lesson learnt.

:D:):D

:D Amen, brother!!!!

yes, and you could be like the guy who came into my shop last week. Didnt like the quote i gave him, went and bought a soldering iron (or, acquired one), proceeded to TOTALLY stuff it all up, killed a pot, and dropped the hot iron on the nice baby blue finish, leaving a massive brown burn.

I "re-installed" the pickup for him today, at a much higher price than i originally quoted him. He loves it now. Lesson learnt.

:D:)B)

Sounds like an impatient fool...

Guitarman do you know what pickups you want? Or got any in mind? Or have you already purchased one?

If you've bought one and its expensive, I'd either get someone to show you how to do it, or pay someone to instal it. Its not too hard, but its also not hard to stuff it up if you don't know what your doing. If you know how to use a soldering iron, try and find a wiring diagram of what you want to achieve. In a strat, I'm assuming you'd just rip out the current one and make its wires go to your new pickup, but I can't be sure, especially if its an EMG thingy.

Edited by Myrk-

It's Just a Dimarzio HS-3 Pickup I got off of ebay. I have a soldering iron, and a wiring diagram but i'm just jumping back and forth trying to figure out whether or not to do i myself or pay the guitar tech at the local store to do it.

I will probably just ask the guitar tech to show me how to do it in the future. Plus i would also like to have him/her look at my pickup switch which is also broken.

Thanks For The Input

P.S. I'm only 17 and i don't have a car so it's a little difficult to get around and i have very little experience in the area of electronics.

All I've done on my guitars was scalloping the frets (all 21 on my project strat) and Frets 19-22 on my Ibanez JS100 and i couldn't be happier with them.

Edited by guitarman3242000

I will probably just ask the guitar tech to show me how to do it in the future.  Plus i would also like to have him/her look at my pickup switch which is also broken.

please please please do not INSULT him by asking him to show you how its done, so you can never use his services again. Its offensive, and wrong.

If you must know, do the research yourself, but do not ask the guy who relies on YOUR BUSINESS to live.