Waterbase Spraying Lacquer..

I just got in a new copy of Stew-Mac and was looking into buying Nitrocellulose Lacquer and Colors that mix with it so I can start using a spray gun to get a more professional look. But I noticed that they also sold another product line that claims to do just as good but less harmful.. I was just wondering, from someone whose used both... what's the pro's and con's of both these paint systems..? Nitro vs. Waterbase...

Thanks

Matt

Water base is more money but you don't have to pay for solvent to thin and a plus is it will last longer /area per gallon.No toxic worries.Nature friendly.Better for someone without a spray booth.Also now quick drying.

Solvent based-very good results,quick drying.Industrial standard for years.but is switching to the friendly way.

I have pretty much gone to a water base acrylic poly .Much better than nitro as far as durability.

I've used the Stew Mac waterbourne stuff before and after they changed the formula. They do sell a retarder and a reducer for it as well. If you shoot it over a dark color you have to be very careful about the humidity since the stuff will haze up in a thin blue color quickly.

It works real well but you should also go with the old rules of 3 thin coats, wait a few days and repeat, plus wait at least 2-3 weeks before buffing which is where I always get into trouble :D

I don't care if it's water based or not, if you aren't wearing a mask and you're spraying it you're asking for trouble.

I've sprayed nitro and water based, I hate them both, but if I had to use one or the other, I would use nitro. The water based is not anywhere near as durable (not that nitro is what I would call durable) the water based doesn't seem to shine up as nice as nitro, they are BOTH very touchy when it comes to humidity, but the water borne stuff even more. Reducing with water is still a poor idea as when you cut it with water you are lessening it's adhesion properties (this is why they still sell a reducer for water based paints usually) The water based takes forever to harden to where it won't leave marks in.

Brian refinished an Ibanez headstock for a guy on a twisted neck, then the neck got sent to me to fix the twist. The clear has probably cured for about 3 weeks I think brian said, but when it got to me I had to repolish it because the bubble wrap had left impressions in the clear.

The reason so many are switching to water based, is Nitro is illegal in many of the States.

The water borne stuff does work, but I don't like it, I wouldn't use it while I still have the option of poly's :D

Oh, also, I really don't know how mixing your color into the water based stuff would work, that is something I've never done, I've done it with nitro and poly's, I'm sure it would work the same, I have just never done it that way.