Archtop Thinline

Ok, i've got myself a sweet amount of lacewood and sitka spruce that I'm thinking about making a combination of an archtop and a thinline with. And I'd like to think what you guys think about the idea.

Ok, here's the driving forces, I don't wanna have to do braces for the top, etc, and also for it not to feedback so much. So instead of a full hollowbody like the Myka Dragonflies I so adore, I was thinking go with a build type like that of a tele thin line. Keep the center of the guitar like where the bridge and pickups will go solid and only hollow out the side. HOWEVER here's the twist. Unlike a tele thinline which has a flat top, I plan to carve the top, and as for the underside of the top, I was thinking of carving the inside also, however ONLY where it's hollow on the body. SO it'll be like an archtop on the sides, but still have a center block...

And the comments on the idea...

Chris

Chris, I think you know how I fell about your wood choices already. They're awesome! I recently built a Dragonfly that had the body fully carved out but the top was carved only on the sides. The center area was left full thickness (like a 4" wide brace). It turned out really good and still had that great hollowbody tone. I like your idea too. The Sungazer design was similar having solid wood under the pickups and bridge and the remainder carved out. Also a nice tone but more like a semi than a full hollow.

What neck material are you going to use? Bridge type, etc?

You can make your back first, and hollow it out like a thinline, then make a tracing of the solid parts and transfer it to the spruce. Then you can carve away at the spruce, both from the top and back freely before you glue it down. I think its a great idea, especially because when you think about it, the spruce will be making up a good bit of the center block if you do it that way. Otherwise, you're trying to carve the spruce out like a regular jazzbox, and then have the lacewood match it perfectly in the center as well as the outsides. I think it will sound better if the full original thickness of the spruce is left in the center. It will be a great guitar.

Thanks you guys, this idea has been along time in the making, especially with talking to Myka (i don't know if he realises I'm the same guy that was emailing him quite a bit awhile back, but now he does) so yeah, it should be nice. As for neck I'm not sure, i'm going to plan out the neck and everything, HOWEVER i'm going to build the body and get that section done before I start the neck. As for the bridge, at stewmac they have this sweet bridge called a "hipshot" which looks like a grand piano shape and does both a tune-o-matic type bridge and holds the strings in one. That or a tune-o-matic bridge with the strings secured by a brace similar to a violin's way of doing things (and Myka once again). Pickups I'm going to go for something a little more aggressive though, not QUITE sure yet... something les paul-ish maybe? but definately wax or epoxy potted as someone in another thread already recomended to me for less feedback. But yeah, thanks for all the positive feedback ya'll!

I'll hopefully be starting soon and maybe making a documented tutorial along the way?

Chris

Chris, I do remember you now that you refresh my memory. I have spoken to quite a few people about the Dragonfly concept but our conversation stands out as being fairly comprehensive with regards to what you want to do with it. I am glad to see you carrying this out. Very cool!~

Concerning your bridge. The archtop style bridge with a tailpiece to attach the strins will place downward pressure on the top. This will give it that sharp quick attack that archtops are known for. It will also dampen sustain to a certain degree. The Hipshot style bridge will pull from the center of the top and allow it to sustain more with less attack and more of a full resonance. The bridge will affect its overall character to a large extent but either way you will have a great guitar.

And don't hesitate to email if you want to brainstorm more ideas.

~David

If you are looking for distortion tones I would go with a metal bridge, or at least metal saddles. They'll provide you with the crunch you need. That edge will be somewhat diminished with a wooden bridge. Something like a tune-o-matic and tailpiece would be a good choice (or the Hipshot bridge). Either way and I think you have your tone covered.

I have an Andrew Olson spruce topped (with burl veneer) hollowbody with a Hipshot hardtail and it sounds great. Nice and edgy with spruce warmth all the way. There are a pair of Wolftone humbuckers in it that sound really nice. Very PAFish.

If you are looking for distortion tones I would go with a metal bridge, or at least metal saddles. They'll provide you with the crunch you need. That edge will be somewhat diminished with a wooden bridge. Something like a tune-o-matic and tailpiece would be a good choice (or the Hipshot bridge). Either way and I think you have your tone covered.

I have an Andrew Olson spruce topped (with burl veneer) hollowbody with a Hipshot hardtail and it sounds great. Nice and edgy with spruce warmth all the way. There are a pair of Wolftone humbuckers in it that sound really nice. Very PAFish.

:DB):D How come I've never seen that guitar before? Deffinitly one of my favrites of yours :D

Those wolfetone look prety cool, but pricey, I gotta check um out.

Edited by Godin SD

again). Pickups I'm going to go for something a little more aggressive though, not QUITE sure yet... something les paul-ish maybe? but definately wax or epoxy potted as someone in another thread already recomended to me for less feedback. But yeah, thanks for all the positive feedback ya'll!

I'm really into P90s these days...talk about aggressive...

I don't think feedback is a big issue with this kind of design --as long as you have that solid center column, you'll be okay. At least on my Samick Royale, it's really difficult to get the feedback I want.

Of course, I don't tend to wail at superhigh volumes...

But doesn't waxing/potting pickups destroy their tone?

How come I've never seen that guitar before?  Deffinitly one of my favrites of yours

Actually it is not mine (well not my work). It was built for me by Andrew Olson. He and I did a guitar trade recently and this guitar is the one I got in exchange for this one. We both liked each other's guitars so we decided to trade for a spruce top hollowbody with a burl veneer. All other design choices were up to each of us so we could get creative with it in our own way. This was definitely one of the coolest exchanges I have had with another builder. His work is excellent as well as his design. If you like his designs you can't go wrong. He builds a great guitar and is a great person as well.

But doesn't waxing/potting pickups destroy their tone?

That is a matter of opinion but I would say no it doesn't destro tone. It reduces microphonics and feedback. I use epoxy potted Bartolini pickups on my Dragonfly guitars because the tone is so clear and defined. The coil wires do not move so you get the magnetic signature of the strings vibration without the fuzzyness of the minute coil movements distorting the tone. You really hear the acousitc tone of the guitar when played clean. They are more hi-fi than wax potted pickups but it is also the way they are wound. In the right hands none of these techniques will kill the tone. Wax potted coils move a little still and that is what makes them gritty and snarly. For a solidbody this is the way to go. For me I like a cleaner hollowbody. You can add dirt with the amp if you need to but you can't clean up a dirty pickup.

Edited by Myka Guitars