Ofr Modification!

hey guys need some advice.

i bought an OFR bridge second hand... i fitted it and it was all good, except one small issue and one big one.

i needed to have a 36mm sustain block, but the OFR's one is 42mm. so it pokes out, and is a pain... and its a pain for me to try to sell the bridge and try to buy another one..

so is it feasible to just cut down the block to right size with a metal saw thingy (hand held) - i'm bad with naming tools. i've cut brass and copper sheets with it before...

if i could do this, do the holes for the springs to go into go deep enough to still be used?

thats the main issue. a much smaller one is that the trem arm needs to be really loose to avoid hitting the volume know. any chance of bending the trem arm to a slightly steeper angle? or...?

thanks guys!! i know i've hardly posted of late, but i hope you wouldnt mind helping out, considering i havent been able to of late....

Roman

also drill the holes a little deeper, the same amount your cutting off

That's not necessarily a good idea. Older trem blocks had the holes closer to the bottom of the block, like in the new Eric Johnson strat because it provided for additional string contact with the block and increased sustain. Drillin the holes deeper will negate that, but if it's enough to be noticable is anyone's guess.

As far as the bar needing to be loose, is that because it needs to be higer in the bar slot? If so, just get a spring and put it in the trem hole before putting the bar in. That way you can have it higher and it will still have some hold to it when you put it in a position you like.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

That's not necessarily a good idea. Older trem blocks had the holes closer to the bottom of the block, like in the new Eric Johnson strat because it provided for additional string contact with the block and increased sustain. Drillin the holes deeper will negate that, but if it's enough to be noticable is anyone's guess.

umm, your talking bout the string holes arent you?

streamline is talking bout the spring holes.

i have a hole drilled in a coffee table i made for the sole purpose of bending trem arms to experiment with different arm angles/heights, it works well.

Drilling the SPRING holes deeper is risky, esp. if the holes are angled. Use a sewing needle to check if there's an angle or not. Some are angled; some aren't. If it is angled, and you drill it, you risk punching through the side of the block. That would suck.

First, I'd call AllParts or WD and ask them if they have a 36mm block. Sometimes, the sales guys know of a place where oddball parts rest in a box under a shelf somewhere (like that drawer in your kitchen that holds...all sortsa crap. LOL), or they might even stock them. It's worth a call or two. They both have 800 numbers.

www.allparts.com

www.wdmusic.com

My next suggestion would be to put up a WTB listing on this site and others, asking for the correct size block.

On some trem blocks, you can trim the SCREW side. Drill the plate mounting screw holes 7mm deeper, then tap that new section of hole. Now you can trim off the extra 6mm from the SCREW side (no one will ever see it unless they disassemble the trem).

Call first. Machine if necessary.

Drilling the SPRING holes deeper is risky, esp. if the holes are angled.  Use a sewing needle to check if there's an angle or not.  Some are angled; some aren't.  If it is angled, and you drill it, you risk punching through the side of the block.  That would suck.

First, I'd call AllParts or WD and ask them if they have a 36mm block.  Sometimes, the sales guys know of a place where oddball parts rest in a box under a shelf somewhere (like that drawer in your kitchen that holds...all sortsa crap.  LOL), or they might even stock them.  It's worth a call or two.  They both have 800 numbers.

www.allparts.com

www.wdmusic.com

My next suggestion would be to put up a WTB listing on this site and others, asking for the correct size block.   

On some trem blocks, you can trim the SCREW side.  Drill the plate mounting screw holes 7mm deeper, then tap that new section of hole.  Now you can trim off the extra 6mm from the SCREW side (no one will ever see it unless they disassemble the trem).

Call first.  Machine if necessary.

ok, thanks guys.

what is the OFR's sustain block made from? i hope its not a super strong steel alloy...lol

I would first do what Kevan suggested, cutting it is not a big deal but like Kev mentioned most OFR had the spring holes angles, so check first.

That's not necessarily a good idea. Older trem blocks had the holes closer to the bottom of the block, like in the new Eric Johnson strat because it provided for additional string contact with the block and increased sustain.

This is only on Fender type tremolos, on the OFR the strings don't go thru the block, but are pinched on the saddles.

umm, your talking bout the string holes arent you?

streamline is talking bout the spring holes.

i have a hole drilled in a coffee table i made for the sole purpose of bending trem arms to experiment with different arm angles/heights, it works well.

D'oh! I missed that part. I'll go sit in the corner now.