Guitar Age....

#

Does anyone know how to find the age of your guitar by merely dismantling it?

Because i don't! :D  :D

Uh...depends on the guitar, really. Plenty of vintage guitar buffs out there with the requisite knowledge, although a model and serial number (if present) should go a long way in helping date a guitar.

Dismantling it may or may not provide clues/evidence as to its date and/or authenticity.

fender guitars, if original, have the date printed on the end of the neck heel. on a lot of guitars you can date the pots..again, if they're original. for others do a google search "dating (name) guitars". many of the manufacturers have dating info on their home sites.

A lot of guitars have inspection stickers either under the pickguard (Fender) or under the control cavity cover with the dates written on them. Check those places and check the serial on the manufacturers' website before you do any unnecessary disassembly.

I tok a look under the pickguard of my 2004 American Deluxe Strat. Anniv. model and in the silver tape "ever" was carved with a pen or something. not near the pickups but just randomly there... Now why would that be?

Because there are several other pickguards out there with the words:

"Manny and Lily for"

?

lol..nearly made me choke on my salad with that one..

I recently read the article everyone who wants to know everything about Fender guitar finishing should read, and found out how to estimate how old a genuine Fender is :D If I remember correctly, there will be 3-4 visible nail holes in the face of Strats and Teles that are pre '69 Fender, under the pickguard. This is from nailing in nails to us to hold the body up off the spraying table whilst finishing, and to dry, then removing the nails once the finish is fully cured. Also, On Fenders, the serial number is key. 70's guitars will begin with the letter "S", 80's (like my Tele) have the letter "E", and likewise with 90's and "N". Not sure what the new letter is though.

Does anyone know how to find the age of your guitar by merely dismantling it

You don't have to dismantle anything. I'm guessing your guitar is electric and possibly, mid 20th century to current 21st century :D