Make Your Own Pickups?

squidge

type making pickups in the search function.

or click here or here if you like.

Edited by dash

• 3 weeks later...
I have a lil project on the go and was told that you can make your own pickups. how difficult would this be to do?

Hi making pickups isnt too bad, you just need about 6 months to practice, plenty of wire to break over and over, ctting the wound coil back off the bobbin a million times before getting everything right, oh and make a winder and have at it. Let me know and i can point you in the right direction for some parts if needed. Benbo :D

I have a lil project on the go and was told that you can make your own pickups. how difficult would this be to do?

Hi making pickups isnt too bad, you just need about 6 months to practice, plenty of wire to break over and over, ctting the wound coil back off the bobbin a million times before getting everything right, oh and make a winder and have at it. Let me know and i can point you in the right direction for some parts if needed. Benbo :D

:D

Have a look at Dash's second "here" link, that's my website showing how I built my first pickup. It took me a couple of hours to do not 6 months. It really isn't that hard to do provided you researched a bit on the subject before.

B)

Have a look at Dash's second "here" link, that's my website showing how I built my first pickup. It took me a couple of hours to do not 6 months. It really isn't that hard to do provided you researched a bit on the subject before.

Hi, was just being funny about the 6 month thing, try it out and see what works for you. Benbo :D

Try this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p..._Coil_Wire.html

As always with StewMac: A litle bit pricy, but you find all things needed there, even a very expensive readybuildt winder.

Anyone know where i can the wire or what type of wire it is? I did a search and i couldn't find much, one site said it did...but it didn't o_O

Seeing as you're in the UK:

http://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/SX_0060_0090.html

The .063 single coat enameled wire is standard AWG42. Ordered from them, not used it yet, but it came quickly, and that's the wire they reccomended for my application.

Cheers man!

For the pole pieces can i use any metal or does it have to be a certain kind?

Well, it needs to be ferromagnetic, so iron/steel slugs might be a good idea. This said, I'm certainly no expert. I'm just gearing up to start winding myself, going to place an order at ampge.com for parts, magnets, etc (ie, might as well get a whole bobbin 'kit' for humbuckers and P90s and the like; no need to reinvent the wheel for those). Whether you need slugs or actual magnets (ie, fender-style pickups, the polepieces ARE the magnets, P90s and humbuckers have bar magnets under the whoel thing) depends on the design.