My New Project

I'm about to begin building a neck-thru V with a similar body style to the Jackson King V. Here's a screenshot of the final drawing (I can e-mail the full-size version to anyone who wants it):

DESIGN

I found some nice Mahogany at a local wood retailer, and ordered a neckthru neck from Carvin.

I'll keep this thread updated with pics and descriptions of what I've done. :D

EDIT: Most of the specs:

-Carvin Maple neck-thru with Ebony fretboard and dot inlays. 12" radius. Graphite nut. 24 frets.

-Jackson/Ken Lawrence-style 3x3 or 4x2 headstock.

-Mahogany wings. Shaped like Jackson King V, just larger.

-Black TonePros Standard T-O-M Bridge.

-String-thru-body with black top/bottom ferrules(that's actually how you spell it ).

-EMG-81 in bridge position.

-EMG-85 in neck position.

-1 Vol control, 1 Tone control, pup switch, and input all on front of lower wing. No pickguard.

-Battery for EMGs in same cavity as everything else.

-Black Sperzel 3x3 Trim-Lok Tuners (don't worry, I've installed these a few times before...)

-Oil finish on whole guitar. I'll probably use some kind of mix with Tung Oil in it... a bit darker than natural. I think I'll stain it before the oil.

-No binding anywhere.

-Dunlop or Schaller Straplocks.

-25" scale length from nut to bridge.

I think that's it... :D

~Benediktas

Edited by Lietuvis

Neither! I'm making one shaped more like a Jackson King V, but slightly longer...

Pics will be up soon, once I take pictures of the Mahogany. I should be recieving the Carvin neck any day now. :D

Edited by Lietuvis

Here's a pic of the Mahogany while I'm waiting for the Carvin neck to arrive...

Geriausias.jpg

On the left is my Jackson DXMG for a size comparison, and to the right is my Marshall AVT150. In front of the amp you can see my homemade pedalboard(only one pedal on it right now, though :D )

Edited by Lietuvis

Sorry, I didn't think about that.  :D

Is the Mahogany pic too large as well?

i don't know...all i know is that if the screen has to scroll sideways on MY screen resolution,it is wider than the limits.(i have very high resolution.)

640 height,480 widthe...

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=11235

I'm getting concerned about my neck from Carvin... it hasn't arrived yet, and we're leaving for the weekend to Quebec City... if it rains, will that affect it through that packaging? Maybe they will figure out to put it in a plastic bag or something... :D

Edit: spelling... :D

Edited by Lietuvis

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so it's been around three weeks since my last post in this thread, and I've done a bunch of stuff. I've progressed a lot on the V, only working on weekends though, because of school. Here's pics:

The final template:

template

Headstock after shaping and some sanding:

HeadstockWorkshop.jpg

Sides and neck, not glued:

Geriausia.jpg

I can't glue them together yet, because I need to do some drilling for wire routes and also to put in Oak dowel reinforcement pegs to hold on the sides more strongly. I'll show how I do that, and you can expect to see more frequent updates to this thread, now that I'm on a roll with this project... :D

Edited by Lietuvis

you shouldnt have to use oak dowel inserts to make it stronger, it looks like you have a pretty good line there already (no gaps) just use a good amount of glue and LOTS of clamps and let her dry for a good period of time and boom, your set with a body

Curtis

Quebec City was cool, but not the first time I was there. I went to the Metalfest at L'Anti... maybe someone else from here was there? Montreal is also nice, but I like QC more, I think. No offense meant! :D

I have a good fit (no cracks, etc.), but I'm going to reinforce it with the dowels just to reassure myself. It's not so much going to physically help the guitar as it will mentally help me. (if you understand what I mean) If the guitar turns out as well as I want it to, it'll be a stage guitar, so it'll need to stand up to some rough stuff... :D

Oh, and the Carvin neck is great! Top quality. B)

Edited by Lietuvis

If you REALLY want to reassure yourself... take a scrap of 1x4 or something else small... cut it in half... sand the cut smooth... and glue the two pieces back together. Now wait a day then break it in half - it won't break on the joint (assuming you're using decent/fresh glue). Wood glue is amazing stuff :D.