Marshall Amp Gets No Sound

slayer63636

you may have to place something around the tube to see it glowing.

they run the valve state pretty low ie the heaters. my advice is to turn it on and walk away and cut the lights off. no glow no go. next would be to check and see if you have filament voltage or if you have a spare tube on hand just go ahead and change it and see.

more than likely he swiped your tube cause his was dead. lol i would have done my brother like that but he is too stupid to use a screwdriver

lol no serious he is

:D

i checked the tube and it golws REALLY LOW. is it normal for them to do that? ive seen a crate blue voodoo's tubes and those really light up. anyways its so dim you can barly see the light. ive gone ahead and ordered a new tube and untill then im stuck playin my little crate combo.

ansil-as far as my bro taking my tube i doubt it. he dosent play guitar or anything he just loves working with electrical stuff and like takin it apart to look at it.

Edited by slayer63636

i checked the tube and it golws REALLY LOW. is it normal for them to do that? ive seen a crate blue voodoo's tubes and those really light up. anyways its so dim you can barly see the light. ive gone ahead and ordered a new tube and untill then im stuck playin my little crate combo.

ansil-as far as my bro taking my tube i doubt it. he dosent play guitar or anything he just loves working with electrical stuff and like takin it apart to look at it.

ah ok man glad to hear it. if it glows real dimly then thats correct as they run a 12vheater on the valvestates.

actually the crates doesn't light up they have a small bulb or sometimes led behind them with an orange cap on it thats why the mirror is there to help reflect it so you dont' see tthe little booger back there. ho2wever it still glows a little brighter than the marshall but it uses a 6v heater

I'd take another look at the amp and ask him EXACTLY what he fooled around with when he took it apart. If you get the new tube in, go ahead and try it out, but I'd look for any loose parts or connections inside the amp before I took it to an amp tech.

The fact that the heater is glowing is good, but not necessarily indicative of a good/failed tube. I would be more suspicious that it's not the tube, though.

ok, i checked it for loose connections and found nothing i also got a new tube in it and a new fuse and it still dosent work. i got some conatct cleaner on the solders on the transfromer and then relized that it was not the origanl one. its a cheap no name one that has a price tag for $25.49, the more i looked into it i noticed that it makes a loud hum when the amp is on. is it normal for it to make a loud hum? also how would i check to see if its still good?

• 1 year later...

Just had a quick look at a schematic of an 8100 (OK, so it's not the same model, but I'd be reasonably confident that the preamps are pretty similar). If you pull the 12AX7 out you should still have a clean channel that works - the 12AX7 is only used in the distortion channel. If the clean channel still gives you loud hum I'd be looking elsewhere.

Also, if you plug straight into the FX return jack and wind the FX Mix control all the way to "wet", you bypass the entire preamp and go straight into the reverb section. Next stop, the power amp and speakers. If you still haven't got any noise it's either the reverb section, power amp or power supply. Haven't got a schematic for an 8200, so I don't know where in the amp the chorus section falls.

Thanks for the response. I will check out the speaker connections first, then swap out the tube. I will repost on sunday to update. I hope it works. It was actually a pretty cool amp. I used to be a tube snob (had to be all tube or it was garbage) and most of my amps are all tube, but I really liked this amp. It sounded every bit as marshall as my freinds jcm9000. If you crank the clean channel it breaks up nice. The effect loop is also so easy and you can blend in the effects just right. My typical setup is to plug directly in to whatever I am playing and go from there, but all these toys we collect over time are very fun now and then. If I cant fix this amp I will have it fixed.