Yew & Oak

Hey chaps,

Have any of you used Oak, or English Yew for guitar making, and if so what are it's characteristcs, the reason I ask is because i've befriended a woodsman and he has some chunky pieces of oak and yew available, and was wondering whether these could be used for guitar making..

http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/yew.htm#Uses of the wood

check out this link..it appears to be a pretty hard wood and as such should make a guitar with good sustain and brightness..looks like it's stable and works well and a couple of other things that i read said that it had a pretty grain..if you're going for a natural look a light stain might bring out the natural beauty

one thing i read said that it is an extremely slow growing tree..that usually means hardness and a very tight grain. make sure that it's good and dry and go for it. i think you'll enjoy working it much more than the oak.

I kinda got the opposite impression here:

European Yew

Softwood... Moderately heavy and hard with medium strength, relatively low stiffness and shock resistance...
Doesn't sound like anything I'd be interested in using for anything, except maybe as an acoustic top (although it appears that several UK and European builders have used it for back and sides as well, probably because it bends so well). As always, YMMV.

I kinda got the opposite impression here:

European Yew

Softwood... Moderately heavy and hard with medium strength, relatively low stiffness and shock resistance...
Doesn't sound like anything I'd be interested in using for anything, except maybe as an acoustic top (although it appears that several UK and European builders have used it for back and sides as well, probably because it bends so well). As always, YMMV.

Thanks for the info and insight chaps, I think i'll make a replacement body for an excisting guitar with it to see how good it is before building a full guitar, there is some conflicting info, but the wood is cheap and dry, so i'll report back.

What about oak, anyone had any personal experience of using that?

I have built two necks from oak, one finished with water based lacquer and one oil finish. The oil finish really let you feel the grain and might not be for every one, but I think that it’s OK. It brings kind of a rough feeling to the guitar, and that IS a rough guitar. If you go for the lacquer finish, be prepared to do a lot of grain filling. Its much like ash, really sucks up the filler and lacquer.

What about the sound then? It is somewhere in between maple and mahogany. A little less high than the maple, but a little faster response than mahogany.

The look? Quite boring if left unaltered, but for the back of the neck OK. Wouldn’t use it for a body, though. Its WAY to heavy to build bodies from.

I own a rather interesting guitar. It's made by a company who've now closed down, called Palm Bay Guitars. The body is mahogany, and the neck is maple. Pretty standard. But the headstock is mahogany (scarf joint) and the boy and headstck are bot toped with yew. Comared to most mahogany bodies with maple neck and top, it adds quite a lot of sustain, and creates a much richer tone. It soudns similar to a les paul custom, even though it is a super-strat style body with a bolt on neck. So for me it's yew all the way. As for oak, I've only played/seen one guitar made of it, and it was damn heavy. Tone wise it didn't differ much from Mahogany, but did have added sustain. So if I were you, I'd definitely consider using some yew.

I own a rather interesting guitar. It's made by a company who've now closed down, called Palm Bay Guitars. The body is mahogany, and the neck is maple. Pretty standard. But the headstock is mahogany (scarf joint) and the boy and headstck are bot toped with yew. Comared to most mahogany bodies with maple neck and top, it adds quite a lot of sustain, and creates a much richer tone. It soudns similar to a les paul custom, even though it is a super-strat style body with a bolt on neck. So for me it's yew all the way. As for oak, I've only played/seen one guitar made of it, and it was damn heavy. Tone wise it didn't differ much from Mahogany, but did have added sustain. So if I were you, I'd definitely consider using some yew.

Cheers fella's, this is all really good info, i'm quite interested in using different woods and experimenting, especially as the wood is free :-)