First Project, Five String Bass Neckthrough

I don't have a lot of tools, but I'm using what I got. So far my tool list is this........Router, homemade clamps, DA sander, Rasps, Sawzall, Circular saw, Jigsaw, sanding blocks, Jack plane, Block plane screwdrivers wrenches ect. I know that these are not the normal tools to use.

You already have more tools than I have. You don't need anything else. Unless you want to go in business.

Did you glue cork material under your homemade clamps? If not i'd be scared to use them. :D They look good and solid though.

I also think that what the big instrument makers have out on the market for the price is also garbage, DONT get me wrong I would love a new Warwick or Tobias bass but I cant afford one, so lets face it I'm better off building my own for what I would  pay for one of their lower end models.

That's exactly why I got into guitar building. Maybe I can also sell my "high end" bass of the month for 4 grand like these guys do B):D

Your bass looks great Scott, i'm sure it'll be fantastic by the time it's done. Keep ti up and keep us posted.

Phil thats a great idea on the clamps i was using cardboard to keep from marring the wood but cork would be a better solution. Thanks for the compliments guys

Scott. It looks great man! I am building 2 neck thru's with a lot of laminations also. Keep up the good work. I'll try to post pics if I can figure it out :D Tom Ovality

nice idea for the clamps... I was trying to think how i'd do something similar myself because i won't be able to find clamps for the body sides... How much did the clamps cost you?

they were free, i work with a lot of metal so i had the angle iron and bolts, the all thread i got from work, it was all scrap.... when i do another body im going to slot the top holes of the body clamps to allow the all thread to rest on the top the blank then when i tighten them the natural bow of the all thread will put pressure and help keep the pieces in line......

he shoots...... and he scores!!!!!

or how should I put it??? however I must agree upon your oppinion about chosing the right piece of wood for the top. the problem is just (and also the excitement of it all) that you never know what will turn up during the next millimeter of "excavation". thats what thrills me in working the grain.

keep up the good spirit. and please....!!!!

let there be a good evil rumble from that old B-string at the "bottom"

Edited by vildskud