Next Project

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitting here looking at these last two pictures I'm seeing maple and mahogany...  cream and cherry...  I need to think about this!

I was going to say the same thing! I don't like the look on that last pic. You could paint the edge on the body of whatever color you are doing the burst and then finish the job, it will hide the differece in colors like Epiphone do on their guitars. Mine got a limbe body with a thin mahogany veneer on the back and sides, and on the round over it is painted with cherry color before the cherry clear coat is applied.

the heels is a whole different mosnter.

Maiden you are right, definitely some sort of solid at the edges and heel to hide the repairs with a transparent in the body and up the neck. The stuff on the guitar right now is just natural filler, the areas of the mahogany that were carved into are very open grain, they'd never finish. time for a session in coreldraw... dkw

Picture 2 a little braver on the cherry body color... The mask tools in cp change the file save formats, I have a little more homework to do to get the cream burst overlaid in this picture. There is way too much color choice in the program, if I was working on the guitar I'd just take what came out of the can!

gibsonpaint1.gif

Edited by donald k wilson

The red is closer to the traditional sg cherry, I color matched it off a scan from a catalog picture. I'm still playing with this, the trick is tying it all together around the guitar and up the neck. I'm glad you all got me going in this direction, this has been a great experiment in designing a burst not an "explosion". more soon, thanks, dkw

That rendering in cherryt looks like an SG faded. It would look OK, I will wait for your "burst-xplosion" thingy to see what you got in store...

If it was mine I would be removing (pluggin') the front routs and making it rear rout wit h either 3 P90's for a classic tone or EMGs for a metal machine, and since you got the CNC advantage, I would be shaving 1/2" of the top and ordering a nice badass curly maple top and then doing a stained burst on it... he got quite a few beautiful tops right now!!!

Lefties are the work of the devil.  :D

"Sinister" is actually latin for "left handed."

I knew those two years of high school latin would come in handy.

I think your two years of high school latin may have been wasted. Are you sure it wasn't Italian? :D Sinister is derived from the latin sinistra, which in latin simply means left. It has Biblical roots because those favored by God sat at his right hand, while any mention of the left-hand had negative or evil connotations. In Italian, sinistra can mean both left or sinister.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Lefties are the work of the devil.  :D

"Sinister" is actually latin for "left handed."

I knew those two years of high school latin would come in handy.

I think your two years of high school latin may have been wasted. Are you sure it wasn't Italian? :D Sinister is derived from the latin sinistra, which in latin simply means left. It has Biblical roots because those favored by God sat at his right hand, while any mention of the left-hand had negative or evil connotations. In Italian, sinistra can mean both left or sinister.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

My two years of high school latin were 15 years ago, but....

sinister Look up sinister at Dictionary.com

1411, "prompted by malice or ill-will," from O.Fr. sinistre "contrary, unfavorable, to the left," from L. sinister "left, on the left side" (opposite of dexter), perhaps from base *sen- and meaning prop. "the slower or weaker hand" [Tucker], but Buck suggests it's a euphemism (see left), connected with the root of Skt. saniyan "more useful, more advantageous." The L. word was used in augury in the sense of "unlucky, unfavorable" (omens, especially bird flights, seen on the left hand were regarded as portending misfortune), and thus sinister acquired a sense of "harmful, unfavorable, adverse." This was from Gk. influence, reflecting the early Gk. practice of facing north when observing omens; in genuine Roman auspices, the left was favorable. Bend (not "bar") sinister in heraldry indicates illegitimacy and preserves the lit. sense of "on the left side."

And I will attempt to re-rail the thread. I'm a sucker for honey colored guitars. I'd say stain it a deep yellow.

Edited by GEdwardJones