Next Project

This wasn't my planned next project but it tied in nicely with some production stuff I'm experimenting with. The guitar was smashed at a party... the neck was destroyed, the front p/u cavity was broken away, it probably should be firewood . (EXCEPT) I wanted to try my rebuilding skills and I wanted to work on a Gibson style neck and sg body for patterns. Here are the neck and bodyin the machine. The neck has been rebuilt and is ready for truss rod slot, the body is being cut for the repair pieces.

gibsonsg002.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gluing a piece of veneer over the repair on the back, right now I'm thinking cherry to brown burst which will cover the veneer edge. There is a small repair on the front between the p/u cavity and the neck which will be covered by the pickguard. Not enough clamps???

gibsonsg007.gif

Edited by donald k wilson

On one hand I think, "Why even bother, finish the party and torch her. Consider it a sacrifice to the Guitar Gods". On the other hand, it's an intriguing(sp) idea to take on a re-build like this. To be honest, I'm torn on this one. But then I suppose we all build "bits" of guitars, so I hope it goes well.

Good Luck! :D

Nate Robinson

I'm diggin the repair. I know how cetain things can become priceless, so if you can fix it that would be great and on top of that you get better at building because repairs seem to be much more difficult than normal builds. I really want to see how it turns out, that looks like one of the hardest repair jobs I've seen, the kind when most people say firewood time, but I think it will turn out good. Keep up with the pics please, good luck man! Jason

The repairs actually weren't that difficult. The hardest part was deciding whether or not to do it in the first place. That took me 35 years!!!! I stripped the electronics, removed the broken neck, stripped the finish, removed enough material around the front p/u pocket to give a solid repair surface and made the replacement plug. Just some careful fitting and gluing. When I'm done I'll have more into it than a Musician's Friend Epi. sure, but I have a vintage Gibson... (at least some of it) thanks, dkw

Edited by donald k wilson

Here's a look at the neck joint after repair. This part of the guitar ended up missing, the upper neck and headstock were still attatched by the strings, I had to connect the dots. I don't trust this small a dovetail, I decided to go with a bolt on with a mortice and tenon for a little more "connection" . Brass inserts and countersunk f.h. machine screws to be installed.

guitarparts007-1.gif