Neck Heel Has Side Angle?

MiKro

Hello All,

I'm new here so please excuse any stupid things that I do. Just let me know! LOL:))

So, I've been lurking for quite sometime and have decided to do my first build. I have searched the archives for this and found nothing. So here is my question.

I have a strat neck that I am going to use for this build. My problem is that the neck heel has an angle in the bottom that appears to compensate for the string height/or string diameter to allow it to be flat in relation to the body. This is from the heel end not lenghtwise. See link for drawing

http://www.mikrovisions.com/wood/neckheel.jpg

Do I need to leave this in or should I flatten the heel? I will be setting the neck pocket at an angle so I can use a TOM. I feel that the extra side angle will only cause problems. What is your assessment on this?

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Mike

First off, I dare to say that it's a Fender made neck, and if it was it was modified. You should have the same width at each side of the heel. Now lengthwise on other necks you might have the angle on the bottom of the neck heel to get the correct angle for the bridge your using, but not on a standard Fender. If it was me, I'd sand it flush if there was enough wood to do so, and install it like a normal neck. Pictures would help...

I don't think he's saying it's a Fender. Unless a lot of wood was removed, you have to flatten it. You don't want an abnormally thin heel though. If it was really thinned out on the bass side, then it might be firewood. No pics=no verdict. :D

Actually it is a Fender neck from a Squire Strat that was sevearly damaged. Only the neck survived and some of the electronics. The difference from side to side is about 1/16 of an inch in thickness. I will remeasure and get some pics, as I beleive there will be enough to bring it back flat without getting to thin on the heel.

Thanks for your response.

Mike

if you have a band saw you could make an angled shim to glue onto the heel to compensate. make it a little proud then use a sanding block wide enough to cover the entire heel and sand it down until it's the proper thickness.

is your neck warped?

Curtis

Nope, first thing I checked? The fret board is flat and true to the back surface of the headstock and the top surface of the headstock. It appears that the heel was milled this way. When looking at the heel all the way to the nut, the plane of the strings follows the angle of the heel in relation to the nut string slots and depth. As if to flatten them to the body ????? or keep equidistance from the pups.

MK

When looking at the heel all the way to the nut, the plane of the strings follows the angle of the heel in relation to the nut string slots and depth. As if to flatten them to the body ????? or keep equidistance from the pups.

That sounds awfull kooky to me. Why not just reshape/file the nut instead of carving on the heel to keep the strings equidistant from the fretboard? And if that is what was done to the instrument, the nut must look like a shark fin inlay on edge.... or maybe the saddle heights change dramatically from the high e to the low e. But again that doesn't make sense because it would be so much easier to adjust the saddle heights than carve on the neck. As far as it being an adjustment for pickups, that seems to me to be the easiest thing of all to take care of without even unstringing the instrument! Not to be redundant but you are quite sure the neck isn't twisted?

Nate Robinson :D

No, why reshape the nut? It looks like the heel wasn't properly cut --maybe this neck (well this batch of necks) started off as a Fender necks, but then the heels got screwed up and they got to sent over to the Squier production line instead :D

I just had good luck creating a shim for my Fender neck (which went into a non-Fender body--the neck pocket was cut too deep).

Instead of going to town on the neck--unless you're really comfortable with that--spend the time making a perfect shim.