I Need Opinnions How To Fix My Lp Project

Aakoo

Hello!

I Really managed to mess up with my LP project. I have built the guitar from scratch and the guitar is almost finished: Neck and top are glued together, body is stained and lacquered. Yesterday I was fretting the guitar and checking that everythin was ok and then I realized that the lower e -string went out of the fretboard really badly. The neck is straight, but it is not symmethric, so changing the position of tom will not help in this situation.

Neck is made from maple and it has a rosewood fingerboard on it. Now I am planning to fix this problem by removing the fretboard and sawing a slice off the lower e-string -side of the neck. Then i need to sand the remaining neck side flat and glue a new thicker slice on it. Then i need to reshape the neck, fix the fretboard and glue them together. I was planning to fix the fretboard by reshaping it to be symmethric and adding wide maple bindings on the side of the fretboard. I guess roswood fingerboard with maple binding would even look quite nice. :D

I need opinnions if my plan is good and if there is something i could do better / easier. I have chatted about this problem in my native language forum and i got some good suggestions, but I still would like to hear your opinnion about how to fix this.

...And yes all this would not have happened if I had had good plans and templates in first place. This apparently was a lesson i seemingly needed to have :D

New neck is not so good option, because removing the neck completly would require to take away the top from the body. The neck heel goes as deep as to the back pickup cavity.

if I first try to fix the neck and it does not work, then i try to route a standard les paul neck pocket and leave the remaining part of the heel inside the body.

I did the measurements, but i guess I somehow managed to mess up with the centerline or something.. I am not very sure what is the reason for this mistake.

Saw the neck off, use a planer to remove the rest from the body, and make a new neck with a Gibson style long neck tenon or a full width neck tenon like PRS going all the way to the neck humbucker route. If you mess it up you could always make it a bolt-on :D

I don't think changing the whole neck would be less work.

First I would need to remove the fretboard to get access to the thruss rod. And then I would need to cut off the the neck and then route the new neck pocket. The I'd need to build the whole neck from the scratch.

If doing as I planned ( and frank described ) I just need to route the sides of the neck sides and add some wood. Then I just need to re-shape and fix the fretboard and so on..

Yesterday I was fretting the guitar and checking that everythin was ok and then I realized that the lower e -string went out of the fretboard really badly

By how much? You might be able to set things right by replacing your TOM bridge with one of these. If you can get the low E string aligned right along the neck then space the rest of the strings evenly. There should be more room on the other side of the fretboard.

By how much?  You might be able to set things right by replacing your TOM bridge with one of these.  If you can get the low E string aligned right along the neck then space the rest of the strings evenly.  There should be more room on the other side of the fretboard.

Yes I have thought about that choice too. But the over-reaching is quite much. I guess it's almost 5 mm at the bridge end. Ofcourse I could move the TOM a bit more down so that the over-reaching is about 2.5 mm on both sides and then adjust the ee-strings so that they come on the fretboard and then space the strings evenly.. Does anybody know how much the strings can be adjusted sideways on that bridge?

You could place the bridge more centered as suggested which should be anyways, and also if possible you could tilt the bridge just a little bit which would bring the string spacing closer together, but only use enough tilt so the saddle adjustment would still let you intonate, which would just make it a very small tilt. Just a thought, I don't know if it would work with your setup or not but I figured I would throw it out there! Also is the neck actually thinner than it was supposed to be? Or is your bridge or nut off? Pictures? Good luck! Jason

Edited by jmrentis

Everything should be right and proper on the nut end , right? The only other reason for this happening is the neck was not set on the centerline of the body, ie. the whole neck is scooted off center or its set in the body on an angle. This is assuming you have the bridge positioned right on the body. Its a tough call, time to set it aside and think it out. B) The bridge should fit "somewhere" on the guitar to make it playable, :D:D . Why not just mount it where it wants to go and play it like that? Ta Hell with symmetry!

Edited by Southpa