I've Got An Axe To Grind!

basey

A freind of mine plays bass in a KISS tribute band called KINGS KISS.

They do kiss covers with a 70's elvis lead singer. :D

KINGS KISS website

anyway he asked me to make a copy of the axe bass gene simmons played on tour during the 70's.

The neck is a USA BC Rich and the body wood is african mohagany.

I've been working on it for two day's now.

I'll try to put some pics up at the end of each day.

link to pics

Very nice! The carving and proportions look perfect. Set neck, so you score there as well. The BCR neck isn't farfetched, since $immon$' original Punishers were BCR products. If your finishing work is as good looking as your woodwork, that's gonna be a showpiece!

Just don't let Gene "Mr. Litigation Himself" $immon$ know you're making that. He'll want a fee since he legally owns that design. That man is a piece of work! :D

:DB):D

Looking good so far!

Im not too familiar with Kiss, What colour will the body be when you've finshed?

Is it going to be a natural finish or something along the lines of black/grey?

the body should be black, the "blade" should be a metal gray. possibly with some blood red streaks on it (to simulate, um, blood).

That's the traditional Simmons Axe.

Similar to this.

Edited by GEdwardJones

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the nice comments. :D

It's been awhile since I updated the pics.

First off, I used some devcon epoxy to grain fill. help from an epoxy thread guitarfrenzy and drak had. :D (I'm not sure which thread it was at the moment, but someone should pin that sucker in the tutorials section)

anyway, after the body was smooth and ready for primer thats when my problems started.

I used some older grey primer I had in the garage and then bought some more the next day to finish after sanding.

After spraying the second layer. It all seperated on the original paint like a crackel finish. So I had to strip the whole thing down again. B)

Thats when I found out how good of a barrier epoxy makes between the paint and the wood.

Back to the pictures....

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

I still need to drill for the neck ferrules, but they haven't come in yet.

after that, its off to get airbrushed and laquered.

• 1 month later...