Which Wood...

mailman

Now im sitting here going over so many sites that have body blanks and top woods and i'm trying to figure out what wood would look the best for the guitar im having planned.

now, the finish i have in mind would be Trans-White

i want some nice figuring, but at the same time, i dont want to get something that wont turn out very white at all in the end..

is maple my only option? or are there other nicer "figured" tops out there that would comply with my whole trans-white fetish? :D

the only one that i've found so far to peak my interest is some of this spalted scotch beech....*drool*

thanks

Edited by mailman

well trans white in the same sense that trans-blue works or any other transparent paint

ideally i want it as white as it can get. with a darker or brown wood it would take away from the white. if you do transblue, for example, itll still be blue but a darker blue if i used (for example) walnut. though with white....who wants a dark white? kinda defeats the purpose

so yeah, im trying to find a nice figured wood thats light in color.

the hunt continues...

Trans white is basically a whitewash, so you're going to want a wood that has a high-contrast grain (very dark grain on a very light wood) or it's not going to be very visible at all through the milky white.

dark grain on light wood? what do you mean?

I've seen some figured Myrtle recently that would probably suit your need pretty well. I'd just go for maple personally, though.

weird, i was actually just looking at Myrtle

spalt myrtle to be exact \

Roscoe%20LG-3005%20Burl%20Myrtle%20Close.jpg

should i use it for the top, or is this wood good for the whole body?

other woods on my maybe list: white burl ash, amboyna burl, and tamo

why not just stained and sanded back maple.... You'd get the figure darked with very pale wood...

elaborate, sorry.

i dont want to use a maple though.....if im getting a custom made i just dont wanna get maple, i see enough maple around , know what i mean? i want something a lil more unique :D

quilted sapele is very nice IMHO looks a lot better than quilted maple, leopardwood (you could call it the snow leopard!) :D or lacewood, or snakewood, these are all woods with great crazy figure and they are lighter in color and might do what you want

Edited by scottyd

The shimmer and depth of figured wood is essentially going to get killed by putting a transparent white (which is essentially a milky translucent white) over top of it. It seems like a waste, to me.

This is an example of a guitar painted translucent white. This particular one is white over ash, which is a relatively high-contrast wood (darker grain in a lighter wood). You can see how subdued the translucent white finish has made the grain. I don't think you're going to get the effect you're looking for.

• 3 weeks later...
quilted sapele is very nice IMHO looks a lot better than quilted maple, leopardwood (you could call it the snow leopard!) :D or lacewood, or snakewood, these are all woods with great crazy figure and they are lighter in color and might do what you want

sapele:

quilt_sapele.jpg

leopardwood:

Leopardwood.jpg

lacewood:

lacewood-1_1.jpg

snakewood:

snakewood_large.jpg

how...are these light woods??

so is it 100% impossible to do a good looking trans-white finish? even if its on  5A quilt maple with a lot of shimmer? or will it end up turning out like a white wash and i shoud just scrap this whole crazy idea?

These kinds of trans-white, which are really little more than semi-opaque tinted lacquers, are not going to doa crazy quilt maple top a whole lot of good. My prediction: it'll kill most of the chatoyance (shimmer), if not all of it.

If you want to be sure, get some scraps, and start testing. It's the only way you'll really know for certain.

Forget putting it over figured maple.

Maple needs a clear finish to show of the reflective/refractive qualities of the figure, and white isn't clear - even transparent white is semi-opaque, and will kill the figure in the wood. As Darren suggested already, you would be best to use ash. All the guitars posted in your example thread were ash, probably with the grain highlighted by using a dark grain filler.