How Thick A Blank For An Average Carve Top?

I am starting a double cut away carve top (my first) using quilted maple and swamp ash. My swamp ash blank is 1 3/4" thick and my maple is curently 13/16" thick. I was thinking of a combined thicknes of 2 1/4" with the maple cap being about 5/8". I'm used to looking at a strat and 2 1/4" seems awfull thick. I dont want to cut away to much ash for fear of the tone brightening up to much. Any one know how thick a simular PRS would be? What do you carved top crafters like for thickness (both overall thickness and thickness of maple cap) ?

I think 2" total is more reasonable. I would leave the maple where it is and take the ash down to 1.25". On another note, I havent seen too many ash backed, maple topped guitars. I am not sure what type of sound to expect from that combo.

Why don't you plain your alder down to 1 1/2, put the maple on, and put a 9/16" carve in the maple. That'll bring you down to 1 3/4" on the sides and you get a carved top in the process. I've personally always hated the looke of a thick(even as little as 1/2"), uncarved maple top.

peace,

russ

EDIT:

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you wanted a carved top to begin with. Well, these measurements should still be helpfull.

Edited by thegarehanman

I think 2" total is more reasonable. I would leave the maple where it is and take the ash down to 1.25". On another note, I havent seen too many ash backed, maple topped guitars.

What do you think gang? 2" thick?

Originally it was going to be mahogany with a maple top but that was seeming like it would be kinda heavy. So I went with swamp ash because it is lighter wieght and is supposed to sound good also.

2" is my suggestion. Generally, PRS guitars are about 2" in the center with the carve coming done about 1/2" to leave a side thickness of about 1.5". Again, I would get some more opinions on the ash/maple combo as far as how it will sound before you do anything. I dont know, but I have a feeling it wont be a good combo. I would go for the mahogany and just hollow it out if you are worried about weight. Then you have an ash blank for another project.

2" is more than enough, but if you want the back to look thicker (like on LPs) you need a bit more.

The 2 1/4" you got is a pretty good size if you are doing a carve with a neck angle, if not I think it is a bit too much, but you can do it anyways.

My carve top is 2" with 1" walnut and 1" quilt and I think it looks OK

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01891.jpg

this is the only pic that I got that shows the guitar from the side, as you can see the rear walnut luuks thin compared to the back of an LP, but it looks OK.

I have a set of plans in front of me for a LP custom. It specifies 15/32 as the thickness for the carve.

Thanks Garehanman. I'm thinking of doing a carved top with a top carve that will go just over the body wood to give a sort of contrasting rim around. So I don't need a full 3/4' top, only 1/2 inch and still get a good carve depth. That's good news for me.

BTW Maiden, I think your 1" top/1" back looks more "refined" and elegant than the LP body. I love the faux binding too. Great work!

Cheers,

Brian.