Bocote neck

Hello,

I'm putting together a Warmoth P-bass, and the neck is solid bocote with a bocote fretboard. It's a very striking appearance, and a very hard wood, which Warmoth says will be OK without a finish. But I was considering the possibility of a tung oil finish. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding this combination?

You wouldn't believe how hard and smooth this Bocote is...so hard that it's used for the fretboard as well as the rest of the neck. It's a Mexican variety of Rosewood, and Warmoth actually states on their website that this particular wood needs no finish (it's like Padouk and some of the other African hardwoods in that regard). They also confirmed that the warrantee is good on this neck even without ANY finish, let alone a "non-hard" finish. The guys at Warmoth aren't crazy about Tung oil, and that may be why none of them can tell me how it will take to Bocote. But I'll put some Tung oil on the neck anyway, and will let you all (and the Warmoth guys) know how it works out. Now, I just have to decide between the Formsby stuff with hardeners (drys fast, almost too fast) and the pure (Behlen) tung oil.

well i don't know anything about bocote(except what it looks like) but the purpose of tung oil is to penetrate the wood and protect it from moisture.so i would say if you put a light coat of tung oil on it and it soaks in then so would moisture.if it doesn't soak in then it might not need it.but i am glad you brought it up because it sounds like a great wood for a neck.and it IS a beuatiful wood.

I know of at least 2 folks who have made their own Bocote necks, and I don't think either one of them used any finish on it.

As a matter of fact, I remember them commenting on how nice the Bocote felt by itself.

If you want to put something on it, I would recommend Tru-Oil, a Polymerized Linseed oil that a LOT of people really like for the 'feel' on their necks. It has driers in it so it cures in a few hours, and you can re-coat twice a day.

Tung Oil cures soft, Tru-Oil cures hard.

You'll find it at most all gun shops and WalMarts gun section.

PS, I would never wipe anything on one of my necks without really knowing how it is going to react first, especially a pricey neck like that.

I bet it's gorgeous!

PPS, You might want to e-mail Jason Lollar at Lollar Guitars, he is one of the two who I know have made several Bocote necks, and is a very friendly guy to converse with.

Actually, a guy on the guitarrefinishing.com forum recently told me that with enough coats, you can get TruOil to a glass-like finish, almost exactly like lacquer. After building up a good thick layer, he sanded in between every 3 coats with 800 grit and a light touch. He may have gone all the way up to 1200, i don't remember. Anyway, he said it turned out extremely slick and glassy. I may end up doing this kind of finish on my current project.

Ben

Yo, Drak...

Thanks for the advice. I Picked up a little bottle of Tru-Oil at WalMart and put 7 or 8 thin coats on the neck. Used 0000 Steel wool to buff down to a satin finish, and it seems like a good hard finish. Very easy, too. On the bottle, it mentions their "Gun Stock Wax" as a supplement (which turns out to be a blend of carnauba wax, beeswax, and silicone). Would this improve the feel of theneck, or can I pass on that one?

The pure tung oil I'm putting on the Koa body has a really nice effect on the color and luster of the wood, and feels very nice, but the body feels vulnerable. I may add a coat or two of the "Homer Formsby" version of tung oil, which apparently contains hardeners - it dries a lot quicker and harder. More like Tru Oil, I think. I just finished a black Korina body with about twelve coats of it and I got the impression I could get a "laquer-type" finish pretty easily.