Jawbreaker V

mailman

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

left, it was right the 1st time, it is your guitar and just because somebody don't like it you shouldn't comproimise... we all can give you our opinion (and I'm guilty on the "if it was mione I would... crap) . But seriously, the guitar was good, the headstock alto like the Dean, complimented the body perfectly! So say, when ytou are going to start getting this one done!

Watch it that the D and G strings don't bang into the A and B tuners between the nut and the posts, you'll have a hell of a time tuning up.

i'm worried about that and thats why I had to make the HS bigger in the first place

i'm sure a workable medium will be possible

either way, its a locking nut so even if they touch its not a HUGE problem.....but still..

also, in regards to the overall size of the thing......does it look at least as big as a jackson KKV? becausue thats the size i was aiming for when i started this

Edited by mailman

Well to me the Biger one looks Beter with the Headstock! But it is your axe man build it how you want it! :D

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Since the differences are so slight, I would make a template for both and decide what you like better then. Having a template in your hands will make the decision easier. By the time you get done sanding and shaping you might be off that little difference anyways, good luck. J

• 2 weeks later...

decided on the larger one, should send the plans over to doug soon. probly wont start on it till mid-november

for the woods now...

okay so its gonna have a G-Alves neck-thru

i cant decide on the body and top woods though

my considerations for the wings (body):

black limba

swamp ash

other? (suggest)

top (trans black):

figured redwood

quilt maple

other? (some kinda quilt though..)

I would do black limba wings with a quilted/mottled bubinga top, or some kind of figured mohagany top. That would look killer, then do some flamed limba binding on the top. Then maybe a cocobolo fretboard also binded with flamed limba. LOL anyways that setup would probably cost you quite a pretty penny, might as well just get a figured koa top!Hahaha, It would make a killer guitar, at least to me, and I would leave it all natural, no paint or dyes, just clear or oil. J

Edited by jmrentis

well if i can get bubinga that looks like this then ill definately consider!

http://www.ritter-basses.com/phpBB2/files/...bubinga_190.jpg

Prepare to drop some serious cash then....

ready and willing. :D

One thing to consider... redwood is a pretty fragile wood, and will dent REALLY easily. It is awfully pretty, though :D.

hmm...

well do i need to worry about denting a top of a guitar?

edit: honestly, now that i thnk about it im scared if i use redwood that it'll dent and ruin my lovely guitar.

whats a good quilt figured top-wood that WONT dent if i look at it the wrong way??

Edited by mailman

well do i need to worry about denting a top of a guitar?

edit: honestly, now that i thnk about it im scared if i use redwood that it'll dent and ruin my lovely guitar.

whats a good quilt figured top-wood that WONT dent if i look at it the wrong way??

Maple, bubinga, sapele all come to mind. Redwood is a softwood, like spruce, and dents just as easily.

guys, i was thinking

...and drinking

but yeah

i was thinking that since there will be no neck pup on this thing, would it be a cool idea to make the fretboard longer into the body (it being a neck-thru anyway) and maybe up it from 24frets to...well more?

or am i just talking out of my ass, lol