Jawbreaker V

mailman

Sweet Bubinga

The second set is still for sale, either of the boards, I thought it would be worth a look for you, they cost a few bucks, but you could get a number of tops out of them, you'd have to bookmatch them because they are only 9 inches wide or so, but dang that would make a sweet top and back even. Also there is another great looking wood down a ways on the page, it's the Figured Moabi, looked very cool. Worth a look if you want to spend the cash.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh, ive been eyeing em too and the price is just setting me away. i dnot need multiple tops as i'm only making one guitar....so it'd kinda go to waste

The Maobi looks nice too but i think i like the Camphor more. its got this trippy warped look to it i think would go nice under the trans-black i intend on doing. the price is right too! lol always helps

i'm also eyeing these Camphors:

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after09-0...-13-05W7399.jpg

http://www.gilmerwood.com/images_after09-0...-13-05W7398.jpg

*goes back to looking for the perfect top*

*edit*:

almost certain ill be using this as the top on the guitar

09-13-05W7399.jpg

god, thats a load off my back. i can finally sleep at night.

anyone think this is a bad idea?

Edited by mailman

Yeah I have no idea of how those burls would be for tops, I just don't know the properties of that wood and if it is a good instrument wood, but I guess it's only a top. I'm curious on how those will finish also, especially with a stain. But those pieces do look cool, so good luck and let us know how it goes, I just am curious on how it works out for you. J

Yeah I would definately ask around, as I said I have no idea so I can't comment one way or the other, I know I haven't seen many if any tops of that stuff but thats not too say it wouldn't work, who knows it might make great tops, but burls in general are all different, so it might depend on the piece. So as I mentioned let me know how the finishing goes if you do it, I'm curious to see if it stains well and if it finishes well overall, the stuff looks good for sure, I just don't of know the instrument qualities it has, we shall see. Good luck

oh yeah, this is gonna sound weird, but which one has a nicer crotch?

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2886/crotchcheck4gs.gif

the one on the left is closer to the bridge, the one on the right is slightly lowered

when i made the size of the guitar bigger, i didnt compensate the er....crotch...and well i realized that the smaller one was a little more balanced and the bigger one a bit sharper and more pointy

so i tried to compensate a bit and now i cant decide which looks more "right"

just talked to doug and read my thread about the camphor

looks like camphors out and ill be going back to one of the quilt tops

oh yeah, and doug says i shouldnt use Goncalo Alves as a neck primarily because of the weight, plus it wouldnt look right with the Black Limba

so what should i use for the neck now? (he says a rosewood)

oy vey, need to change the entire project around again! :-p

just talked to doug and read my thread about the camphor

looks like camphors out and ill be going back to one of the quilt tops

oh yeah, and doug says i shouldnt use Goncalo Alves as a neck primarily because of the weight, plus it wouldnt look right with the Black Limba

so what should i use for the neck now? (he says a rosewood)

oy vey, need to change the entire project around again! :-p

...he thinks Goncalo Alves is too heavy, but a rosewood is fine? Both of those sit comfortably in the same weight range, depending on the piece.

Are you going to do a clear finish on the back of the body? Because that's the only place I see it mattering whether or not you use rosewood.

about the 24+ fret question, id say go for 24. not any more. you will probably never need more than 24., and if you used more, they would be hard to play accurately, and if you do use more frets, the pickups will be placed too close together, and wont sound as different as they should. your guitar would start to look like the 31 fret danelectro longhorn (do a search)

EDIT: sorry, i meant danelectro guitarlin

Edited by Kith

I have never "touched" a V but one is in the planning stage for me. I'm not sure about the size, so I got the cad file. Am I reading this cad file correct? 17" at widest point and 44 3/4" at the longest point? does that sound about right?

Thanks!

I have never "touched" a V but one is in the planning stage for me. I'm not sure about the size,  so I got the cad file. Am I reading this cad file correct? 17" at widest point and 44 3/4" at the longest point? does that sound about right?

Thanks!

mines 15.7" @ the widest

the body is 19.2" long

the net length including headstock is 42.4"

so from the looks of it yours is bigger than mine, as well as longer. considering i have what many people are calling a "huge" headstock....well you see where im going with this...

im like you too. never "touched" a V really. when i started designing this though i went down to my local guitar shop and played around with one of the Jackson KV's they had on the shelf and found it pretty cool and something i could get used to so im just crossing my fingers from here on :D

Edited by mailman

I have never "touched" a V but one is in the planning stage for me. I'm not sure about the size,  so I got the cad file. Am I reading this cad file correct? 17" at widest point and 44 3/4" at the longest point? does that sound about right?

Thanks!

mines 15.7" @ the widest

the body is 19.2" long

the net length including headstock is 42.4"

so from the looks of it yours is bigger than mine, as well as longer. considering i have what many people are calling a "huge" headstock....well you see where im going with this...

im like you too. never "touched" a V really. when i started designing this though i went down to my local guitar shop and played around with one of the Jackson KV's they had on the shelf and found it pretty cool and something i could get used to so im just crossing my fingers from here on :D

Thanks for the info, I think Im going with the Gibson measurements (a friends husband is bringing me one to measure) and adjusting the body to fit my taste.

Nice looking guitar there, I can't say for sure but I've seen both maple and bubinga that have similar figures. I'm sure there are plenty of other woods that can have this figure but you'll have to look around. There a few guys here that really know there wood maybe they will chime in. Good luck. J

guys, what wood will get me as close to this kinda finish as possible?

transblackredwood.jpg

Hey guys, not to be offensive, but doesn't that picture already have a label saying black REDWOOD? Redwood is a soft top wood that some luthiers choose and is not as expensive as maple. You can buy it at:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....dwood+Top+Plate

Just contact the guys in lmii and they will try to find a piece of redwood similar to that dean.

Ash HK :D

Edited by rokeros

Heh. Good point. Oops. That's very, very flamey redwood, quasi quilt, and it still doesn't look at all 'black' to me. Black/burgundy mix, perhaps. I've seen some pretty funky flamed redwood, and that's even funkier than most.

Redwood with that kind of figure isn't that common, and I don't know if LMI will have any. Plenty goes up on eBay, though, although almost all of it is very green, and with that kind of figure, goes for prices similar to maple.

I would assume that you could get a similar color to that rewood with the bubinga, being that they are already similar in color, the pictures you see of bubinga on gilmer and such have been either wiped with naptha or coated with a clear coat of sorts to really bring out the color and figure, so I think bubinga looks a little like redwood color wise and sometimes has a similar figure, so I think with some stain you could get similar results. It's a cool looking color and with that figure it's very attractive, I hope you can get it close to what you want, I bet you can. Good luck and keep us posted. J