Wood In Need Of Grain Filler?

thewrathofraf

I checked out the search and found a few answers but nothing that really suited exactly what i was lookin for. Basically i have a few questions on finishing my project.

1) Does alder or maple need a grain filler?

2) How many cans of lacquer would you say is enough to finish a guitar? How many coats?

i think thats all i had left after searching.

Thanks guys.

-RAF

It appears thereis ome confusing on filler needs, and I must say, I'm quite curious myself. Someone with the knowhow wanna give a low down on what needs filler and what doesn't?

Ash, Alder, Rosewood, Mahogany, Maple, some exotics...?

Chris

PS: Maybe also list WHAT you would use for filler on each of these?

Edited by verhoevenc

check out www.reranch.com for their information on finishing.  they say to use 2 cans of clear, and 1 of color.  if you're doing a stain, obviously, disregard the color idea.

but it was my understanding that alder did need to be filled...i could be entirely wrong, but that's what i thought...

hmm...that brings up another question. I am having some one airbrush a finish onto the guitar. some crgraphic that i have in mind and am in the process of drawing. would it be fine if i just did the 2 cans of clear over the graphic? or would i need some thing to protect the graphic before the clear goes on?

-RAF

hmm...that brings up another question. I am having some one airbrush a finish onto the guitar. some crgraphic that i have in mind and am in the process of drawing. would it be fine if i just did the 2 cans of clear over the graphic? or would i need some thing to protect the graphic before the clear goes on?

-RAF

You need to be sure that the topcoat you use is compatible with the paint used for the graphics. Check with the graphic artist first to make sure you won't have any suprises later. And get a good buildup of clear before you do any sanding, or you will seriously risk sanding through and getting into the graphics (practice first). Good luck.

I refinished my maple soloist a few years ago, and the dyed, unsealed maple soaked up a lot of finish. Seems like I gave up after 6+ cans on getting a dead-flat finish. Of course, I didn't really know what I was doing and I'm sure I didn't prep the wood properly. No PG tutorials back then :D

Mike

OK... no on ever answered my "which woods need filler" question above, for like a guideline. The main ones I'm really interested in are Spruce, Lacewood, Rosewood, and Mahogany.

ALSO, about clear epoxy as a grain filler, and I noticed someone else mentioned this, but no response/reason was given, all the stuff you see at like ACE hardware and home depot has one tube of clear stuff, and one tube of slightly yellow stuff, so the epoxy isn't 100% clear.... is the "yellowed" epoxy fine, will it "yellow" my _____ (enter one of the four woods above)?

Lastly, about how much epoxy am I going to go through on one guitar to fill the grain with those woods?

Chris

Spruce - no.

Lacewood, rosewood & mahogany - yes.

Yellowish epoxy will leave yellowish wood. I use Devcon 30 minute 2 ton for grainfilling, which is prefectly clear. You'll use surprisingly little to fill a guitar, though exactly how much will depend on the individual piece, as well as your technique.