Building Your Own Trem?

Okay. I was doing my regular brainstorming when I suddenly decided I needed to build a bass trem. I was looking at the costs of simply buying one outright, but they are in the $200 - $300 range. I had thought that perhaps own could undertake building a trem system. Well, I have a spare bridge plate handy... and I can pick up springs and such from Stew Mac... Now, am I just crazy for trying to save a few dollars or has anyone else tried this before?

it gets more costly, I was going to make an 8 string floyd rose bridge, I wont say how much it was going to cost in machining costs and materials, but lets just say i could have almost had an 8 built for me for what it was going to cost.

Well, heres, the deal, I have a drill press and grinder plus saws and files. Pops liked to do a lot of aluminum work and such. I figure drilling a few holes in the center of the bridge plate and bolt on a flat piece of steel about 1/4 or so thick for the springs.

I say go for it...the worst that can happen is it doesn't work, right? But if it does work, then it'd be really cool...

Maybe you could buy a couple of bigsby springs and hide them under the bridge plate...no trem arm, you just push on it with butt of your hand...

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of a trem arm...Then you can do dive bombs.

I say go for it...the worst that can happen is it doesn't work, right? But if it does work, then it'd be really cool...

Maybe you could buy a couple of bigsby springs and hide them under the bridge plate...no trem arm, you just push on it with butt of your hand...

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of a trem arm...Then you can do dive bombs.

Yeah, dive bombs on a bass. :D

If you get it to work, record a soundclip of it, it would be cool.

Unless you've got metalworing experience and skills, I'd say you're a bit crazy to go there. I wouldn't do it, personally, because I don't have the skill set, and I'm not terribly interested in developing it.

This said, I have seen a home-built, bearing-loaded floyd copy that looked pretty fantastic. Built by a trained machinist, though, has to be said.

If you have a baseplate, I'd recommend using a tongue and groove fulcrum, similar to the old Ibanez Powerocker trems. Except Ibanez used a bull nose rounded front and a rounded receiving block. A long knife edge would be better.

You don't need precision return to pitch like with a Floyd equipped guitar. The scale is so long and the strings are so thick, that micro movements won't put the bass out of tune like they do on a guitar's G string for example. Instead, you need strength and stability. The Kahler was probably the best one made because it used ball bearings to pivot. But I would think you could make a pretty usable trem out of standard bass saddles, a standard floyd or strat trem block, and all you'd have to mill would be the long knife edge pivot and it's receptacle.

Unless you've got metalworing experience and skills, I'd say you're a bit crazy to go there.

I think that depends on the results he's hoping to achieve --unlikely he'll get something that looks production-perfect, but he may come up with some very cool nonetheless...

Actually if you only work on the underside of the base plate, the homemade part doesn't necessarily have to show....

Okay, so you want to divebomb, eh?

In that case, how about a combo--you have your bigsby springs (because they're heavy duty) providing downward support...then you weld a three or four hooks into the bottom of the plate, and you attach Fender style springs to them...this way you'll get the best of both worlds....

I'm just assuming that since they're bass strings you'll need heavy duty springs to handle the stress.

You don't even need to weld-- you can also drill through the plate and bold something on....

Unless you've got metalworing experience and skills, I'd say you're a bit crazy to go there.

I think that depends on the results he's hoping to achieve --unlikely he'll get something that looks production-perfect, but he may come up with some very cool nonetheless...

Actually if you only work on the underside of the base plate, the homemade part doesn't necessarily have to show....

Okay, so you want to divebomb, eh?

In that case, how about a combo--you have your bigsby springs (because they're heavy duty) providing downward support...then you weld a three or four hooks into the bottom of the plate, and you attach Fender style springs to them...this way you'll get the best of both worlds....

I'm just assuming that since they're bass strings you'll need heavy duty springs to handle the stress.

You don't even need to weld-- you can also drill through the plate and bold something on....

Excellent suggestion. I was just trying to figure out which springs to pick out. I am already forming a mental picture.

Ma and Pop always told people that only their son would attempt such a thing... Heh