Router

Hey... Trying to figure out what to get with a Home Depot gift card and thought I would get a router. However, I don't know jack about them so was hoping some of you could help me out. Should I go with a plunge router or a fixed router?

Plunge Router

Fixed Router - The last one ($60.98)

I was also debating on getting one of those Black and Decker FireStorm all in one tools. It is the power unit with circular saw, router, and drill/driver attatchments. I already have one with the drill, jigsaw and sander. They don't have these on the website, but they are $79.99 and are 12 volt units. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...

Jim

For Home Depot, I would recommend the Ryobi 1 3/4 hp Plunge Router.

I know they're kinda cheap, and mine only last me about 1-2 years on average before they start to disintegrate and I toss 'em, but I use them *ALL THE TIME*, year-round, constantly, so your use might not be as hard-core as mine.

I've gone thru 3-4 over the years, but I keep buying the same model over and over because they have the most comfortable handle/base (for me anyway) and they are really affordable, and basically, I like them.

Also their system for changing bits agrees with me too, another factor to consider.

Yes on the plunge.

Funny thing is, sometimes they have the plunge model, and I've walked in there when they didn't have it, not even a store model, then a year later they show up again...go figure...but they are good, affordable, and comfortable to use. The issue for me is controllability, and it has to have really good grips to interface with your hands properly for the most controllability, which the Ryobi gives me. Those round generic knobs on the Porter Cable (to me) are a joke, I would never use such a thing...

I also have a big ole' 2 hp Makita that will never break, but that's for real hogging work.

PS, I made the retarded mistake long ago of lubing the posts on a plunge router once (it had started to get a bit sticky) boy what a stupid mistake. It wouldn't hold the depth and would slide up and down and ruined one job. I think it worked OK after I wiped all the lube back off thoroughly :D

I don't know if they sell it.. but the Dewalt DW 621 is a very good plunge router for a decent price... It has it's own sawdust vaccum that gets lets you see where you are routing and also don't have the mess.. lol.. also it can do the standard air blowing of sawdust.. either way, it's a great router.. but there are alot of great ones out there...

I know they're kinda cheap, and mine only last me about 1-2 years on average before they start to disintegrate and I toss 'em, but I use them *ALL THE TIME*, year-round, constantly, so your use might not be as hard-core as mine.

My entire shop is Ryobi. I could endorse them for all the stuff that I have. Price is and was the motivating factor for all of them.

They work for me, but then, I only use them every once in a while. I'm not in there every day.

I also have a non-plunge router. The plunge router, I had thought, was a relatively new concept for routers. The standard router works fine for me at the moment. I may regret saying that later when I route the neck pocket and the pickup cavities. :D

My entire shop is Ryobi. I could endorse them for all the stuff that I have. Price is and was the motivating factor for all of them.

They work for me, but then, I only use them every once in a while. I'm not in there every day.

I also have a non-plunge router. The plunge router, I had thought, was a relatively new concept for routers. The standard router works fine for me at the moment. I may regret saying that later when I route the neck pocket and the pickup cavities. :D

Well, I just got done doing neck and pickup cavities over the last two days with a non-plunge model, and I had no problems. I really can't see it making that big of a difference in my work, but that's just me.

Hi,

I have both a plunge and non-plunge router. I find that I need each one for different types of jobs. For really deep holes, the plunge. For outlining a cavity, I use the non-plunge. You almost have to experiment with them to find the one that fits the job best.

Guitar Ed

I wasn't putting non-plungers down, the last time my Ryobi plunger took a dump on me, they (as stated above) didn't have the plungers in stock as happens for whatever reason, so I just bought the same router in non-plunge, and have been using that for over 1.5 years or so.

But it's getting worn down too now, and I already found (they had them stocked again) and bought the same Ryobi plunge model I always have, but I'm in no hurry to break it out, it's been sitting new in the box for several months while I continue using the non-plunger 'till it gives up the ghost for good.

I'm comfortable with both, they both have the same handle-grip I'm used to, but for an extra $30.00 or so, the plungers sure are nice to have around...

Sry guys I'm with LGM on this one... I'd take a plunge router over a standard anyday of the week.... alot more options with a plunge... but to each his own... I don't know much about the Ryobi models.. but before you buy, look up stuff on the Dewalt DW 621 on the internet and see what other people say about it.. not just me.. Since your buying a new one anyway.. why not pay a little more and get a really good one..