Metallica-star Designguitar

Hello.

Last evening I got the Idea to celebrate my love to MetallicA with a custom

Star-Guitar. What do you think about the Look? Does it look right proportionalized?

My technical ideas:

- a finished neck like this [Link]

- one piece body from beech (couse I got enough)

- one bridge or two humbucker

- a bridge like this [Link]

If it proported right, where to put the belt-knobs?

The Pic:

star4ex.jpg

thanks

madness

Edited by Doctor Madness

I don't know about cancelling it entirely, I'd just say that it's not something you're going to be sitting in a studio cutting tracks with. You need to look at what you want the guitar to do. Do you want a showpiece that hangs on the wall, or do you want a tool that will allow you to play the kind of music you like to play without obtructing your performance?

You need to think about your scale length and neck/body proportions for starters. If you're playing all kinds of music on the upper frets, you should think about upper fret access in your design. If you're going to be carving the design, you need to think about what kinds of wood will carve cleanly and easily by hand. How are you planning on joining the neck with the body? Things like that.

No, everyone thinks you should cancel the idea altogether because it will be unplayable, uncomfortable, and unbalanced, but you go right ahead and build it...

+1. That's an unrealistic nightmare to build that will only be useful as a wall decoration if it's ever finished. It will be uncofmortable to play at best because of all the points. I salute you wanting to do it, but if you actually plan on playing it I would reconsider.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Mailman, you really don't need to be a jerk on every thread, do you? Your comments are about as useful as Perry's, especially when the Doctor has already explained it's more of a showpiece than a player anyway.

how am i being a jerk? he asked about rotating it 45 degrees and i pointed out how that would make the top spike stab him in the ribs (which it would!)

Mailman, you really don't need to be a jerk on every thread, do you? Your comments are about as useful as Perry's, especially when the Doctor has already explained it's more of a showpiece than a player anyway.

how am i being a jerk? he asked about rotating it 45 degrees and i pointed out how that would make the top spike stab him in the ribs (which it would!)

I have to agree, unless you want to commit ritual suicide with this thing, a rotation wont help.

If you made the body VERY small, it seems like it might actually be playable.

The only thing I've heard out of you on many threads is your unconstructive criticism of other people's designs and unabashed sarcasm. That is what I mean by being a jerk. Just because something is not a flying-V does not mean that it's not worthy of being built. I seem to remember ZZ Top playing several uniquely-shaped guitars over the years, and they seemed to do just fine with them.

Per SR's note, I will refrain from further comments on this issue. Other than that, if you're just going to bash the guy and his idea instead of actually giving him some real advice, I'd suggest you do so as well.

if you're just going to bash the guy and his idea instead of actually giving him some real advice, I'd suggest you do so as well.

i did give him advice. i told him that a 45* rotation would inhibit his playing, and that a possible better idea would be for him to do what inspired him and get a kirk hammet or whoever style guitar and do the "carved faces" idea which he said he liked as well :D

positive criticism: why dont you make the deisng into an ML type guitar? obviously with the metallica star, a star shaped guitar should be in your best interest. try coming upo with a design which incorperats the ML's balance, and add the jaggedness similar to that of the symbol.

possibly when you are done you could bevel the edges and paint the silver, and then the entire thing would resemble the metallica logo.

Edited by mailman