Designing A Working Man's Guitar

n8rofwyo

I am exremely interested in opinions concerning what is considered neccesary for a solid body elecric guitar to be comfortably playable. I am not a performing guitarsist, and it occurs to me that the perspective of someone who has to strap up and plug in for someone other than themselves may be a good learning tool. As it stands now my designs are based around the strat being played while sitting on the couch. I'm not only interested in what a comfortable strat copy should be or include, but just what is comfortable period, especially in a possibly uncomfortable situation - IE performing for and hour.

Thanks, I know this may be a dumb question for some of you, but indulge my curiousity if you will.

Nate Robinson :D

I'm a singer first, so my perspective is a little different.

The guitar has to be lightweight for me, that's critical issue. Whether it's on stage or at practice. But that's a personal issue --the other guitarist in my band plays a Les Paul, the thing weighs a brick, and he wouldn't change for any other guitar in the world.

I also like an angled neck --I'm playing a Strat on stage these days, because it's my most reliable guitar. But it forces my arm out a little more than I like and makes me come up to the mike a little differently. It's not a big deal, it's a very subtle thing and doesn't really get in the way. But I definitely prefer playing my Gibson and singing. (But the Gibson's way too sensitive to temperature/humidity changes, I don't trust it to stay in tune)

Other than that-- I hate the placement of the Strat's controls--I keep bouncing into the switch and swiping the volume knob by accident. That's my fault, of course, and I've been relearning my pick grip and adjusting my playing style lately, and that helps a lot. Still, I like that stuff to be simple and out of the way.

One thing I do like about the Strat is that belly carve...that's why I put one in my tele...

1. Sound is above all. I wouldn't care if the guitar weighs a ton if it has a good sound.

Actually in most cases light weight means soft and porous body tonewood and this is not a good thing (IMHO). I simply can't stand muddy palm mutings and dull leads and I guess it goes for all of us metalheads :D Other people just love the soft sound of Ibanez guitars...

Good sound means good pickups too.

2. Sustain. I am putting it in a different section because I am just totally sustain crazy. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night bathed in sweat and shouting "Sustaaaaaain!" Then I realize that it was just a bad dream and everything is OK and totally neck-through.

3. Comfort - In the previous post idch described a rather annoying situation with Stratocasters (volume knob makes it a nightmare to play harder). Actually it's the same with most of the Strato-shaped guitars. Nothing should bother me while I am performing live. I don't want to lose my concentration thinking about the knobs or other guitar parts that could be a hurdle lying on my hand's way.

The guitar should be well-balanced and the neck should stay in position (many of them try to go down all the time)

The strap and the strap locks must be of good quality too. Their importance increases dramatically on stage.

4. Playability - Faster necks are welcome. They should also be rock-solid. I also prefer wider fingerboards. Somehow they prevent me from making too many mistakes on stage.

5. Look - Oh man, all those chicks in the audience... you don't want to lose their attention just because your otherwise great guitar looks like a piece of junk, do you? A nicely finished and well cleaned guitar without fingerprints on the front pane would do the trick.

:D

- Tone. Gotta sound good.

- Comfort: this means not too heavy, well balanced (more important than weight, even), no sharp 'edges' digging into you while you play. Doesn't mean every guitar needs belly carves or armrests, mind you. But it should 'feel' comfortable. Telecasters with a slight back relief work better than those without, IMO, although forearm cuts just look all kinds of wrong to me.

- I like a back-angled neck.

- Good control layout: if you do volume swells, have it close enough to be able to get your pinky around it, otherwise, have the controls close enough for easy switching, but far enough away so you don't knock them by accident. I'm also not a fan of rotary switches that you can't evaluate with a look; you should be able to glance down at the controls, and know what the settings are.

- A good setup/tuning/playing stability. Locking tuners are generally a Good Thing, even on non-trem guitars.

Then again, these are things I value in any guitar, whether it's played in the bedroom sitting down or while jumping up and down on a stage in front of 50,000 screaming fans.

Edited by mattia

Wow, there is more info here than I anticipated. I hadn't considered several points raised thus far. I agree with Idch, and DrummerDude in that I am constantly playing neck position, and next thing I know the whole thing gets tense and without "body" because I've tripped the Pup selector.

Mattia: What is your perspective on "sharp edges digging into you". What tends to be a problem area for you? Do you do on the fly adjusting with your instrument or with pedals? Which do you find more efficient?

DrummerDude: I'm married and #5 will just get me in trouble.

Unless... I convince the wife that the guitar doubles as a vanity.....DAMN GOOD IDEA!!!!

Nate Robinson :D

Sharp edges: if people don't soften the corners on binding, or on some bound backs, the edge can dig in a little, mostly on your strumming/picking forearm. Ribcage can be an issue as well. It's one of the reasons I'm not wild about bound backs on electric. On acoustics, they're a necessary 'evil' if you will, but even there you should smooth the edge a little. Carved tops 'move' the edge a little, forearm contours do away with it. I personally like a radius on the back, and a belly carve. Doesn't work for pointy metal guitars, sure, but I really don't like pointy metal guitars, so that all works out.

I tend to adjust most things on-instrument. Don't really do effects pedals. Have a rack mount cheapie Lexicon for verb and modulation, and a Rivera TBR-1 for any distortion I might want.

I'm not only interested in what a comfortable strat copy should be or include, but just what is comfortable period, especially in a possibly uncomfortable situation - IE performing for and hour.

The only way to really know what works for you is strap that thing on and play it, standing up, for an hour. Take a 15 minute break, then play for another hour. Break. Play for an hour. Break. One more hour. Pack up all your equipment and drive it around town, then unload it. :D

Your body will tell you what you need to do (other than lay flat on your back for 8 hours B) ).

Seriously, the people who have problems playing Strats on stage don't know how to play Strats. B) The weight is perfect, the balance is perfect, the controls are perfect, the neck is perfect, the sound is perfect. Perfect. A Tele is pretty close. Try the above exercise with a Les Paul :D . I don't know from pointy guitars.

Of course, everything is subjective. The only way you'll know what works for you is to try everything. :D

Seriously, the people who have problems playing Strats on stage don't know how to play Strats. :D The weight is perfect, the balance is perfect, the controls are perfect, the neck is perfect, the sound is perfect. Perfect. A Tele is pretty close. Try the above exercise with a Les Paul  :D . I don't know from pointy guitars.

Hold on a sec, mark...do you like strats or somethin' B)

There's one thing that's not perfect about strats--the look. They're ugly.

There. I said it.

I'm free, I tell you, freeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Hehehe...

actually, there's a valid argument to be made that the strat's upper horn strap button position puts the bridge in less than optimal position for palm-muting. Telelcasters are a touch better in this respect.

Personally, although I'm deeply ambivalent about the strat's looks (it looks very right some days, and quite wrong others. Don't ask me why..), I do find them very comfortable guitars.

Seriously, the people who have problems playing Strats on stage don't know how to play Strats.  The weight is perfect, the balance is perfect, the controls are perfect, the neck is perfect, the sound is perfect. Perfect.

Thats what I was thinking while reading the thread. There is a reason why that style of guitar is so popular and has been around so long. You guys who keep hitting your hands on switches and knobs just aren't playing it right! Try to stop flailing around so much and concentrate on making the notes. :D

For Nate, are you thinking in terms of actually building a guitar with all those "best comfort" features? or just whats already out there? I like rolled fretboard edges, nice 'n smooth. Headstock tuners should be well spaced, I like to fit a peg winder in there. I like a guitar that is relatively easy to adjust, the more options the merrier, that includes truss rod access (don't want to have to remove the neck), microtilt neck is nice too.

Thats what I was thinking while reading the thread.  There is a reason why that style of guitar is so popular and has been around so long.

NAZIS have been around longer. Do YOU like Nazis 'cause they're old?

If you like Strats, you are a Nazi.

I just figured I'd take this to the illogical extreme for a minute. :D:D

Have a look at the Ibanez Radius or Joe Satriani guitar shape. It is doubtlessly one of the most comfortable guitars to hold and play live. You don't have to make a copy of that, but you can see how everything flows, so there's nothing poking you, but also the top of the guitar "falls away" in the typical playing areas.

The longer the upper horn, the better the balance. Its easier to pull a neck down a little than to have to hold it up.

There are many ways to reduce weight that enhance, or at least don't harm the tone.

An "all access" neck joint is good too.

Which brings me to: The Ibanez Maxxas. That is THE quintessential "player's comfort" guitar. It's clamshell hollowed, has the AANJ, and sounds great. The bass horn is long, too.

Have a look at the Ibanez Radius or Joe Satriani guitar shape. It is doubtlessly one of the most comfortable guitars to hold and play live.

An "all access" neck joint is good too.

I have an old RV470 model Radius. It's damn smooth. Almost TOO smooth, actually. It sits so close to my body I have a hard time playing it! It has an All Acces neck joint too. :D I'm selling it if anyone's interested. *cough*

i own several dif types of guitars. first off i hate strats because of the humming. i have an lp its a liitle to heavy for my taste. i also have an ibanez sa 420x its great the body is light made of mahogany. the sa neck also rocks very slim and smooth. pickups plays a big part though the ibanez ones are ok but the lp custom modded with prs mccarty pickups sounds better. id go with a light body( i like mahogany, im dying to try koa) and a slim neck myself. angled headstock is a plus too. go to the guitar store and play around, plus its fun.

Well then, first off you have to decide what it is you want to do. Are you going to be a 1) bedroom rock star, a 2) studio wizard, or a 3) bar band player? That's what will ultimately decide for you.

1) You can do whatever you want, because nobody will ever hear it.

2) You can do whatever you want, because you play so well that it doesn't matter.

3) You can do whatever you want, because you have to play the thing for however many sets, and ultimately you're the only one who really cares anyway.

And now we do the Hokey Pokey and we turn ourselves around, because that's what it's all about. :D

Personally, although I'm deeply ambivalent about the strat's looks (it looks very right some days, and quite wrong others. Don't ask me why..), I do find them very comfortable guitars.

Yep, that pretty much sums up the love-hate thing I have going with my Strat. It's an MIJ from the late 80s, it's even uglier because the previous owner spraypainted it --that's why I bought it, it was cheap...

And it's turned out to be the most reliable guitar I have...the only one I take onstage (and this goes to marksounds list) --I play it because it's solid, sounds great, and most importantly stays in tune no matter the weather or the venue or whatever.

But I have high hopes for the tele I've been working on...I should be able to polish it and put it together next week. And if all goes well, the Strat will take up a comfortable position....on the wall!

But yeah, add that to the list of important things in a guitar --reliability. A guitar can be pretty as hell, but if I can't trust it when I need it (and when I'm singing, I'm way to preoccupied to be able to fuss with my guitar), it stays at home.

mystrat.jpg

C'mon... can you really say that's NOT a beautiful guitar? :D

Sure, it doesn't have disgustingly figured topwood like a PRS or the best of the Pauls... but I love it, and it almost feels like a part of me when I'm playing it. I played a Paul for the first time about a year ago and it felt like I was trying to play, I don't know, a sharp-edged heavy hunk of wood :D. I do like the way they sound, though, which is why I've been lusting after an SG for a while. Heh.

I've been playing that guitar for so long that an RG/JEM's pointy little horns just look WRONG to me.

Oh. And I LOVE the ****** headstock, too. So there. B)

Edited by jnewman