Tips On Playing And Singing?

Thoughtless 7

I did a search and found a topic on this...but it seems to be dead, or i can't open it.

So, i need a few tips on how to keep my timing with guitar. I can do basic style palm muting or chords, but for some reason, anything slightly advanced and i suck.

Any tips other than practice?

Cheers.

PS. if that topic works for anyone else, link me please =D

Heres the link to the thread. link

Basicly you need to practice enough to where you arn't thinking about playing. than you are free to sing or whatever. For my first year or so of playing I couldn't sing and play at the same time. But now I can sing just fine while I'm playing even the most complex lead passages. But than again I'm a drummer also so I'm sure that helps with the doing more than one thing at once...

Edited by Godin SD

Any tips other than practice?

Sorry chief, no alternative means of acquiring this type of coordination. The result you want (not having to think about it) comes as a result of training the body and mind by repetition. Then the conscious mind can do other things. It’s very much like when someone first starts driving, they’re usually extremely attentive. One year later, they’re hardly looking at the road while on it. As sad of an example that it is, that’s the result of repetition. It can’t be avoided.

heaps of ppl find it hard (including me) but the only advice i can give is practice till u can do it, it just randomly happend for me :D The black Metal band i play guitar for just lost our vocalist (he was good too :D ). I decided it might be fun to try vocals, so atm im doin em for our cover of cradle of filth - her ghost in the fog. I can do it fairly competently (although i suck at the screaming parts, and i do tend to run outa breath pretty quick ) but it only took a few goes to get it down adequately.

so the moral of the story is just keep trying till you get it and have fun.

btw, if anyone knows of a correct tab (or wants to tab it for me, in powertab preferably) for cof - suicide and other comforts could they PM me? cause i wana try singin that one next, and i already got the lyrics down.

cheers - nick

Edited by JoJo T. Magnifficent

Practice and (don't cringe - it worked for me) use Christmas songs to start. Something simple like Silent Night while strumming the chords slowly. I used this trick because nothing else worked and I wanted to make it happen. I was practicing sight reading to a Christmas carol book I have and just started singing along. I guess since the lyrics are burned in to my memory it worked because I didn't have to think about the words and I could concentrate on reading the music.