A Homemade Project Take 2

hi everyone!

Its been a while since i posted on this forum because of work and things, You may remember i posted my old or take one RS here anlong with the blue traveller?

Well if you don't heres a picture to jog peoples memories.....

RS number 1

Traveller prototype

well those were the first 2 guitars i made, anyway the second RS guitar is more accurate it has the original truss rod design, Nahogany neck, oak finger board, Block Board, Mahogany veneer, oak core in the body, along with the acoustic pockets.

comments are welcome and i will try and answer any quiries as to what i have done.

RS type 2 - pic 1

RS type 2 - pic 2

RS type 2 - pic 3

RS type 2 - pic 4

RS type 2 - pic 5

Edited by Mattw04

I don't think I've ever seen or heard an oak fingerboard.

This guy does it all :http://www.aresguitar.se/

Ive done oaks necks. Works fine.

Very nice guitar BTW.

I noticed the VERY long neck pocket, but the pick guard will cover it and the pickups dont seem to get in the way, so why not.

What's a "block board"?

What did you darken the fretboard with? (I think the original is oak painted black.)

The long neck pocket is original also, kind of a cross between a set neck and a neck through.

The original has to be my favorite DIY celebrity guitar because it incorporates so many ideas that would be deemed impossible or crazy if suggested here -- oak body? oak + veneer = plywood? oak fretboard? paint to look like ebony? compression springs in the tremelo? knitting needle for a trem arm?

well blockboard is strips of wood glued together with a 3mm ply top and bottom comes in 18 mm sheets if your in the USA then its not avalible and you would of never heard of it!

finger board is as original oak painted plack with a 7.25 radius.

mine i hope is exactly the same, oak core, Blockboard wings holowed out with knife edge tremolo and micro roller bridge with burns / Adeson pickups. and the 6 phase switches.

oh yes very chunky, i was lucky enough to try the Guyton RS prototype which the man also tried, its chuncky but very comfortable, as the String action is so low!

Its incredible guitar for the time it was built!

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

a few new pictures for you, not much really has gone on, a nut has been add which has been made out of bakerlite just yes i know what your think why !!

I have also added a trussrod cover made from 3 mm perspex.

Still awaiting the arrival of the roller bridge, vol + tone controls, and an updated tremolo!

Pickups i am using are made in the UK called Adeson which are made to the specifications of 1960's burns tri sonics, I would post some audio files but i have no recording equipment at this time.

heres some more pics....

RS PIC 1

RS PIC 2

RS PIC 3

RS PIC 4

Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes thats a brian may 6 pence not a real one lol

There is one sitting under the tone pot tho!

as soon as i get a bridge in and the rest i will take some more shots!

cheers