Oh God You Guys!

:D

From the topic description you might think I cut off my finger routing... but no... it's worse. Ok, so on the bottom edge of my template there was a mistake, HOWEVER the bearing could still follow the TOP edge of the template and everything would go fine. HOWEVER when I changed from my short cutting head bit to my long cutter head bit I forgot to check that the bearing was riding high enough on the template!!! To make a long story short, the router cut into the body where it shouldn't have, HOWEVER I was able to catch it pretty early so the damage wasn't TOO deep. Up to the last pass I decided to just ignore that area until I had an idea of what I was going to do to fix it. So I thought, ya know, set the bit high enough to FOLLOW the mistake, so it's consistent for the WHOLE body, and then I'll just inlay some ebony or something so it'd flat again and call it a "beauty mark" like cindy crawford. So I go to do just that... and break one of my cardinal rules and route TOO deep in one pass, and sure enough, it breaks off this heafty chunk!

What I am left with is this...

terrouter.jpg

Now luckily... there IS a half inch between the mistake (it's on the tip of the lower cut-away's horn) and the hollow cavity... so I guess I can just sand it down flush... but it just won't be the same!!!!

WHY IS THERE NO CRYING FACE!?!?!?!

Sadly,

Chris

Naw, I've use my calps and checked a bunch of times now, and it's still thick enough on the side that if I sand it down flush there'll still be a good 1/2" (which is safe for the side's thickness).

HOWEVER, I checked the back's thickness too... .24" instead of .25"..... I'm really not shining through on this build...

Chris

(However, all my mistake will make GREAT "trouble shooting" self Q&A for the tutorial I'm writing with it...)

Actually no, i sanded it down in that area. The edges still flow nicely, there's NO indication anythign wrong ever happened. Only difference is that the "wall" between the outside and the hollow part is nown 1/8" thinner (ie: 1/2" now).

But yeah, was salvaged 100% (and yes it will be natural lol)

Chris

From the topic description you might think I cut off my finger routing... but no... it's worse.

Man....I know that was probably a joke....but think about that sentence again.

A damaged piece of wood is nothing compared to the fingers you need to play a guitar at all. Id rather burn my whole guitar collection than loose a finger.