Buying Parts In Australia

I visited Ormsbys site and took a look at his parts list and prices. I was thinking of ordering some parts then I thought "Hey this looks like he's selling Stewmac parts" I wonder if this is so and if all the tools he sells are actually stewmac branded tools. If his parts are from stewmac, I may as well order from them. I know the guys trying to make a buck but if he's selling stewmac stuff, I may as well order from them. The waiting period would be about the same. as he would have to wait 2-4 weeks for them to come by normal air post before sending them on to customers in australia.

Any comments Perry? I'm not nitpicking just wondering is all.

*steps back* I can see a dropkick coming from a mod here.

Cactiscurtis- you might want to edit that post out. This is not the method nor the place to call somthing out. If you got a beef, take it up with perry in pm.

Sorry if you guys are upset by my post but there's heaps of guys in oz that want to build axes. Its not a personal slug. I think I have the right to express an opinion and ask why I should buy from him and also if his products are in fact Stewmac branded products. Whether I am going to upset people or not with my posting is too bad. I wanted an answer to a question thats all. I dont particularly want to buy products from anyone who offers the same products that anyone can order from the same supplier and have to wait the same period of time for them to arrive at the reseller's. I dont know if Perry is selling only stewmac branded stuff. Thats why I asked.

If I get booted off here for asking a straightforward question and if that question doesnt go down too well with you guys, then you have a very biased forum thats supposed to be open to all and not a select bunch.

Regarding PM him, Why? we all have a right to know what we may be ordering.

Regarding PM him, Why? we all have a right to know what we may be ordering.

One reason you might want to PM or email him is because this is a question about his business and this is not his business' forum. Perry keeps his business affairs separate from Brian's forum for the most part. Out of respect for our host it would be nice for you to keep your beefs, real or imagined, out of Brian's house. All are welcome here to respectfully discuss guitar building but if you came in to start a fight then don't be surprised if you get a harsh greeting.

In a sense I see where you are coming from sort of, but even though I can't really answer your question here goes:

Perry is a bit of a crazy sob as far as I am concerned, but he is a good bloke and he has gone to a lot of effort to be able to supply a PROPER range of luthier stuff to Australian people, including a full online pricelist, which is extremely uncommon. If your comparing directly with American prices then he will be a bit more expensive yeah, but thats the same everywhere in Australia, and when put in that perspective Perry's prices have always been reasonable in my experience.

Don't take what I say as gospel, but yeah, there is a chance some stuff may be StewMac stuff, but so what? That doesn't mean he is trying to rip anyone off, as a LOT of poeple don't like buying things from overseas and having to worry about international return policies and the extra postage and longer waiting periods.

You have a question, fair enough, and although everyone is saying you should be gearing up for a smackdown, I also beleive you have full right to ask what your asking, but Perry is NOT trying to rip anyone off, and he is actually doing a very good thing by even going to the hassle of offering the stuff in the firs place, so I think everyone would appreciate it if you reworded your question so that it doesn't sound like your insinuating that Perry is doing something underhanded.

Thanks, and welcome to the forum too :D

- Dan

You have a question, fair enough, and although everyone is saying you should be gearing up for a smackdown, I also beleive you have full right to ask what your asking

He does have every right to ask the question. However, I think the problem lies in a.) the accusatory tone this particular poster used and b.) the fact that the post deals with the business of a well known and well respected member of this forum. The post would have been appropriate in a forum where you had a but not b. However, in this case it would have been preferable for the poster to contact Perry directly rather than accusing Perry with the posters very first post.

I have ordered stuff from Perry, and was very happy with what I got. As a first time builder I found it reassuring to be able to order over the phone (to another Aussie...) and Perry was very happy to answer the questions I had regarding a few of the items, so even if it did cost me more, he at least helped me find my way to buy the correct things along with some build advice.

Also, I was happy to buy from within Australia, because if there are any problems, it's a lot easier to chase up.

You have a question, fair enough, and although everyone is saying you should be gearing up for a smackdown, I also beleive you have full right to ask what your asking

He does have every right to ask the question. However, I think the problem lies in a.) the accusatory tone this particular poster used and b.) the fact that the post deals with the business of a well known and well respected member of this forum. The post would have been appropriate in a forum where you had a but not b. However, in this case it would have been preferable for the poster to contact Perry directly rather than accusing Perry with the posters very first post.

You took that line of mine a little out of context :D The "do it with PM" thing had been made clear by some senior members already, and I went on to say basically what you said there about the original poster making it sound like he was investigating perry for doing something shady.

- Dan

You took that line of mine a little out of context B)  The "do it with PM" thing had been made clear by some senior members already, and I went on to say basically what you said there about the original poster making it sound like he was investigating perry for doing something shady.

- Dan

Sorry about that :D

I'm gonna have to work on my reading comprehension skills :D

Taking this question to PM for Perry personally is about respect. But you really fail to see that. If you where in real life and you saw perry with a group of people would you scream out this question for everyone to hear? Because that is what you basically just did. Probally not, but since you have the safety of your computer you think its ok.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok, I accept the fact that it appeared that I was making insinuations about Perry's business. That is incorrect. Actually, there was an item I saw at Perry's site that I am sure is a Stewmac product but would actually work out cheaper for me to buy that item from Perry. If my post pissed you or Perry off, my apologies. Its good to know that he has strong support from you guys. I suppose, I didnt word it well. Actually, in hindsight, this posting probably did Perry good to see the support he has. If he sells Stewmac branded stuff, thats not a problem, just wanted to know if it is all Stewmac parts. My apologies for thinking we all have a right to know publicly what he sells. I suppose I should have contacted him first. I know this forum is about building and maybe should have stuck with just posting about building. Will do so in future.

settle down guys, he is just asking the same question i get every week :D

Yes, SOME parts are stewmacs. You can order them from SM, wait the 3-4 weeks, and have your parts slightly cheaper.

BUT. What you cant do is request

#certain grain pattern in a fretboard/shell/body or neck woods

#Tap tone tested body blanks (and not five piece blanks either)

#24/25/26/27 fret slots

#Timber machined to your spec

#Electronics covered under warranty (Dan just found out his items from the USA have no warranty the second they leave the USA, he originally saved $20 i believe)

#pre-raduised fretwire

#etc etc

The parts i DO order from Stewmac, are all delivered via courier, and ive never had an order take more than 3 days. Most of the time i order every thursday, and i have the parts by tuesday, checked, repackaged with parts from other sources, and sent out to the client who gets them by friday. HOWEVER more than 50% of the parts i keep in stock at all times.

The other thing you wont get from Stewmac is good advice at any time. You bought your parts from me?? Then you can ring me any time, or come into the shop, and discuss ideas, techniques etc. I spend at least an hour every day on the phone helping out hobby guitar makers in Australia.

Dan, how many hours have you spent asking questions, and how many times did i say i didnt have the time to answer them??

CUSTOMS: Dont forget there is a $49 import document fee, plus minimum (up to 25%) 5% duty on the entire invoice cost, INC postage and insurance, and then 10% GST on all of that....

But, its up to you. Feel free to buy the parts from any source. Stewmac are a very reliable company, you wont have any problems with them.

Now, if you have any questions, this is not the place for business. Please take any further queries to email.

(Dan just found out his items from the USA have no warranty the second they leave the USA, he originally saved $20 i believe)

Actually at the time I saved more like $50, but yeah :D

For the record, I COULD get a refund from them if I post them back the dead item, but I really can't be bothered because of all the hassle. So the moral of the story is really the same :D

- Dan