Universaljems

Guest AlexVDL

If you build bodies under the name Fender then it will be illegal. But Brian (universaljems) mostly sells Allparts and WDmusic parts. Both sell necks and bodies liscensed by Fender. :D

Guest AlexVDL
I just checked out the site and all the parts that are offered are mostly copies! Isn't that an ilegal activity to offer STRAT bodies, LES PAUL BODIES. Umm Replacement Bodies. Just wondering if that's legal or illegal...?

Hehehe you even didn't check out the website properly, because Brian doesn't sell LES PAUL bodies :D:D

If you build bodies under the name Fender then it will be illegal. But Brian (universaljems) mostly sells Allparts and WDmusic parts. Both sell necks and bodies liscensed by Fender.

I know it's illegal to make a guitar put fender on it and sell it. The Same way you cant take my name and pose as me. But what do you mean by- it's licensed under fender. Does that mean that he has the legal permission to do so? Also i have a fender squire Stagemaster and on that it has a tremolo on which it says that it is licensed under floyd rose patents. Does that mean the same thing i meantioned above? Does itinvolve granting legal permission to make other companies parts identical and give reference to them as copied parts and sell them? I have gone through the thread on legal issues and i know more or less from what i have read, the difference between a patent and trademark.Trademark-for name..Eg. Fender(logo too) and Patent- for Design, measurements etc.

So does that mean if i want to make an exact Rg replica and sell it with my name and give refernce to ibanez and say..FOR SALE! Jem REPLICA CUSTOM BLAH BLAH.. Do i need legal permission to do that...? And what if i dont say its an RG..then What ? Thats illegal too?

Referrin to brian, or anyone else who does sell replacement bodies necks etc. Do they have or need to have legal permission to do so by the company and THAT the bodies which he or anyone else in selling is licensed seems kinda stupid, Why would me, Fender license my product and allow people to sell it. It's prob not gonna give me much, you know itslike giving soemthing on rent. so whats the point? IM DAMN CONFUSED!

A licensed product means the company has permisson to copy and sell an item and has to pay licensing fees and possibly a portion of profits from the sales back to the original owner of the design and or product. It also gives the consumer the warm fuzzies that they are buying a part that will fit. For example if you were replacing a neck on a strat and didn't have $300 to pay for a Fender neck you could buy a "Licensed Strat" neck for $100 that was appropriate for the year/model you have and be pretty darn sure it's going to fit.

I can answer some of that....Fender licensed out their designs (necks and bodies) to mitey mite, wich is a replacement part brand, so say the headstockon your fender cracks off and you want a new neck and dont want to buy a new guitar, thats where you'd gat a fender licensed neck. and about the floyd rose: Floyd roses (original FRs) cost about 200 dollars, and it would be impossible for any company to put out a guitar with a FR at an affordable price so they made a cheaper version, the licensed floyd rose. And since it is one design, ibanez had to get the licensing to put out their edge, edge lo pro,trs etc. hope this helps

Thanks. That kinda clears it up for me. Which companies license their products and designs besides Fender?

Bomberboy, welcome to the 1990s...basically we live in a licensed world. Pretty much everything you buy these days is 'licensed' --that is, the brand-holding company only nominally manufactures or, in more and more cases, no longer even bothers to pretend. Some companies, like Nike, may never have manufactured anything at all, at least, not for 40 years.

So is a Fender Made in Mexico really a Fender? Well, it's close enough, since Fender built that factory. But how about a Made in Japan? Fender has never pretended to make those guitars --they're made by contract manufacturers (who do a damn good job in this case). Same goes for Made in Korea guitars.

Now, a lot of brands have shipped out their 'B' grade guitars to contract manufacturers, you name it, pretty much every brand out there has their Korean/Chinese/Indonesian version. Are they 'real' guitars or 'licensed' guitars?

So the same holds true for parts. Most parts --let's say, 99 percent--are made in Asia, mostly China. Fender doesn't actually make any of its parts--the pickups, etc. They contract out for them. Depending on the quality specs, that's good, bad, or no big deal.

Bigsby makes hand made bigsbys in the States. They cost a lot. They also 'make' a licensed version using CNC machines overseas. They cost a little less. Now, that same contractor also churns out a bunch of Bigsby knockoffs --I had one, it looks EXACTLY like a Bigsby, functions exactly the same, etc. You can bet it's the same product. Costs about half the price of the licensed version.

The same holds true for all other parts...it's just the way the world works. It's why we can find cheap parts that, in most cases, function as they should.

Buying a 'licensed' version of Fender parts gets you pretty much exactly the same as buying a 'knockoff' version --because they're probably made by the same company, after all. You pay more because you'll get certain guarantees (maybe) but mostly because you get to pretend to yourself that you're getting something close to Fender.

Good enough for me, I'm a sucker for the Fender brand. :D